Re: [kde-linux] Debian 5.0, KDE: getting konqueror to open links from kmail in the background (and not interfere with other behaviors)

On Monday 06 April 2009 04:09:39 Randy Kramer wrote:
There is a konqueror setting to open a link as a tab in the
background--it works in Debian 5.0 when you click on a link in a
konqueror tab.  But, even though the other setting says to open
external links (which I presume means links clicked on in, for example,
kmail) as tabs instead of new windows, doing so brings that instance of
konqueror to the foreground.  On Mandriva2006, it left that instance of
konqueror in the background, which is the behavior I am trying to
achieve.

I've done some testing. There are two separate issues here. The first, and,
I think, the most important, is that clicking on a link in a mail message
should use a new tab rather than a new window, assuming that you have set the
preference for that. This is definitely either a distro or version problem,
so there is no point in raising a bug report with kde - and probably not with
your distro unless that is likely to chivvy them into updating your packages.

The reason I say this is that on Mandriva 2009 it opens a new window, whereas
on Fedora 10 which is more up to date on packages it opens a second link in a
new tab.

Then there is the issue of whether it gets focus. To be honest, I thought it
always did, but if you feel strongly about this you should raise a bug report.
It is usually recommended that you file bug report with your distro. They
check whether it is a package issue, and either pass it upstream to kde if
they think appropriate or ask you to file a bug upstream.

Anne
Just found a cool new feature? Add it to UserBase