Re: [kde-linux] Clear screen on konsole

On Thursday 30 April 2009 11:26:03 Kenneth Marcy wrote:
On Thursday 30 April 2009 09:37:25 Alain M. wrote:
Hi,

if I issue clear om a konsole windows, it only issues a lot o new-lines,
but if I roll up with <ctrl+PgUp> or the mouse, the old text is there

How can I clear all the text in a konsole window???

Type clear then press enter.

Ctrl-L is an alternative to the clear command.

On my machine ctrl-PgUp does not move up the screen, but upward mouse
scrolling does reveal the history again. So, here's an additional note.

If you don't want to see that history as a result of mouse scrolling, for a
particular user's home directory, and for bash as a shell, move the
file .bash_history to a different file name, say .old_bash_history. Then
create a new history file. So, in the home directory:

ls -la .bash* reveals existence and size of the current .bash_history.
MTV .bash_history .old_bash_history renames the file.
touch .bash_history creates a new file without the previous history.

Now ctrl-L or clear will operate as before with less history to reveal.

Ken

  • Re: [kde-linux] Clear screen on konsole
    ... if I issue clear om a konsole windows, it only issues a lot o ... If you don't want to see that history as a result of mouse scrolling, ... ls -la .bash* reveals existence and size of the current ... Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: HOWTO enter Ctrl-S to BASH from console
    ... those keys for something else... ... ^S would normally invoke to some other keys in bash. ... After reviewing your bug report I'll ask the dumb question: ... entries forward of your current one in the history that matched what you ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Countdown 43 - mild spoilers
    ... So they intentionally reveal Bart's identity, which in turn reveals ... usual explanation of "History being Vague". ... a degree that it should be impossible to be lost. ... As for data formats changing within 500 years, ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)
  • Re: Are liberals finally realizing that Al Sharpton is a racist POS?
    ... ugly treatment of blacks. ... that happens in todays world on that ugly part of history that makes you a ... Representative Bennie Thompson defended his statements from ... Stunned CNN reporter Dana Bash barely recovers enough to ask the ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Switching from tcsh to bash as an interactive shell
    ... >> Anyone care to clue me in as to some of the neato features bash has over ... But isn't that what tcsh does? ... I have never been able to make out how bash history ... Bits of command appear and disappear, and I don't know if one ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)