Re: [kde] KDE 3 users: What are the last of the KDE 3 features missing from KDE 4?

Duncan thanks for the feedback. I just joined the list here so I am
getting up to speed on KDE 3/4 changes and the experience of others. I
use my laptop for work but run a few VMs at home for testing things like
this. I am looking to move to FC11 from FC8 but I need it to be usable
without lots of grief while at work. Oddly your post was one of the
first I saw so I replied. Some more feedback below.

Duncan wrote:
Greg Parrish <gparrish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
4A5B2E81.3090408@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, excerpted below, on Mon, 13 Jul
2009 08:54:25 -0400:

I am still on Fedora 8 with KDE 3.5. I am toying with FC11 on a VM on
another machine.

I'm not sure what KDE version that is. The below is for 3.5.10 and 4.2.4.

That is 'kdebase-3.5.10-2.fc8' so for the most part the kde components
are 3.5.10-1 or 3.5.10-2.

The things I see missing are in Konsole for the most part with the new
version there. Here are just a few items I am still looking to resolve.

1. In Konsole there is no auto-resize option for the tabs, appears to be
gone

Hmm, I've never used that feature. I actually quickly remerged
konsole:3.5 here to see where it was and check 4.2. You're right, it's
not there in 4.2. In 3.5, context-clicking on the tab bar (seems to be
only the empty part, so must be done before it gets too full) brings up a
menu with auto resize tabs on it.

Interesting, but I turned it off. Maybe when I get playing with my
netbook again, I'll find it useful there, but that's why I have dual
monitors, to avoid too many tabs, etc. So the auto-resize isn't all that
useful, here.

But yes, it is indeed missing.

Yea I used it during initial setup but not a lot after that but noticed
it was missing in kde4. I use lots of tabs at work to connect to many
different hosts. I got to the point where I just opened about 15 tabs
and they would stay in that config through logouts and reboots. The
thing I did to make it work was just rename all the tabs to "1" - "15"
then I start to stick regular daily actions to certain tabs through
habit. Since there is no auto resize in kde4 I just used the manual
rename to a short name to get by. Then on occasion I will rename the tab
if needed, on reboot it will revert to 1-15 so that works still which is
a fine workaround.

2. In Konsole I can not remap the copy/paste keys in the profile.

Hmm. That's not in the profile here (for either 3.5 or 4.2). It's under
Configure Shortcuts, and yes, I tested it and it does seem to work. Tho
I didn't try to save the changes to see if they'd stick and get applied
in new konsole windows. Is that what's failing?

I had not found that but I will try it tonight in the VM. I went back to
check my system here and you are correct it is under shortcut and not
profile, so that is a fix for me, great!

3. In general, KDE components crashing, but this has improved.

That has indeed improved. As I've said in other threads, I'm still using
a kde3 based desktop, but with kde4 apps, now, and don't run a kde4
desktop enough to know if it's fully stable yet (I've enough other issues
to make kde4 impossible to run as a working desktop), but it certainly
has improved, as at least I can play with it now, without everything
crashing all the time.

This sounds good. I am tweaking out my VM so I can upgrade my laptop
soon and quickly get back to where I am now. I did this a while back and
went to FC9 and it was a nightmare so I decided no more of that until it
is tested. KDE4 was the deal breaker of course and as I recall it was so
bad I somehow could not even get back to using gnome so I just
reinstalled FC8 which is great.

Thanks,
greg

  • Re: [kde] KDE 3 users: What are the last of the KDE 3 features missing from KDE 4?
    ... In Konsole there is no auto-resize option for the tabs, ... a kde3 based desktop, but with kde4 apps, now, and don't run a kde4 ... This message is from the kde mailing list. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Konsole : How to show current user when using Alt-Tab
    ... As far as I can see the whole way KDE works manages window TITLES ... When I run konsole the window title follows the tab I select and tells ... The labels on the tabs are configurable. ... I'm using KDE4; I can't help you with KDE3. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?
    ... without logging into KDE 4 a digging around a while. ... There's a big bug about it with lots of votes, ... working in kde4 was a serious blocker to switching, ... The solution here was a script and matching config I hacked up. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Whats the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?
    ... It is bullshit when you state that you are being forced to use KDE4. ... many reasons, mostly unconnected with KDE. ... support bug. ... No devs, firefox, konqueror, IE, otherwise, are going to be able to ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] kde3 is gone... for 11.2
    ... with a basically broken KDE4 because it is the wave of the ... I run Linux because it doesn't emphasize glitz over ... KDE3 functionality was a technical drain on their resources, ... I began with KDE because I basically was in agreement with what Linus ...
    (SuSE)