Re: [kde] Hangover from kde 3.5 in kde4 when launching file manager after plugging in a SSC card

On Sunday 29 November 2009 10:03:29 Basil Fowler wrote:
On Saturday 28 Nov 2009 19:04:06 James Tyrer wrote:
If you previously installed OpenOffice, the problem is probably that you
still have a file in: ".../share/mimelnk/". This would not be in your
"$HOME/.kde4/" directory since it is not a KDE app. You should look for
the 'desktop' file in:

/usr/share/mimelnk/application/
$HOME/.local/share/mimelnk/application/

and remove the obsolete 'desktop' files for OpenOffice.

When I upgraded, I installed onto a clean disk. I then transferred all the
/home directories from the old installation to the new, so as to keep all
the settings for kmail, flightgear u.v.a.

I looked through the directory $HOME/.local/share/applications and found a
whole load of obsolete desktop files. I removed the files referring to
OpenOffice.org and retried. This time, the system complained that it could
not find Xine! I then removed the entire contents of that directory, and
now the Dolphin file manger opens as required.

Thank you for your help.

Next time, make your backup copy as before, but only transfer to the new
install the directories that you are certain you need. You can always add to
them later if you find you have missed some.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group

  • Re: Logic Studio Released Today
    ... >>>> It doesn't automatically make them obsolete. ... I can just see Edwin opening Logic Pro 7 for the first time and going Duh! ... If you are doing a new rather than upgrade installation all you have to use is the serial number provided and NO KEY!!! ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: [kde] Hangover from kde 3.5 in kde4 when launching file manager after plugging in a SSC card
    ... On Saturday 28 Nov 2009 19:04:06 James Tyrer wrote: ... and remove the obsolete 'desktop' files for OpenOffice. ... /home directories from the old installation to the new, so as to keep all the ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Newbie - Trouble installing OpenOffice
    ... did you clean up the installation folders ... OpenOffice installation was not registered as it was ... defer the release of file descriptors. ... It really looks to me as if the soft updates is the culprit. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • [UNIX] OpenOffice Race Condition during Installation
    ... OpenOffice 1.0.1 Race condition during installation can overwrite system ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • fairly dumb question about icewm floppy icon and desktop software....
    ... This was a slow process and involved a certain amount of farting around in the installation but in the end it worked. ... One thing is that I can't seem to find any icon for the floppy like there is in gnome. ... Another problem I have is that Openoffice takes ages to load and I think the machine is struggling a bit with it. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)