Re: [kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

On Friday, 2009-12-04, Duncan wrote:

FWIW I too have wished for that, and have it setup that way here,
manually. But it'd be very nice if /someone/, and that someone might as
well be kde, took the lead, and started doing the same with the user's
config and data in /home, by default.

Actually there is a freedesktop.org specification for that, i.e. $HOME/.config
and $HOME/.local/share (both overridable through environment variables,
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME respectively).

KDE applications usually don't use paths at all, they do lookups based on
"resource types", e.g. "data", "config".
It should be possible to patch KDE libs to make "data" end up in
$HOME/.local/share/appname/ and "config" in $HOME/.config/appnamerc

Or maybe just for new user accounts to make sure any custom backup solution is
still working.
Or creating symlinks from old locations to new ones.

IMHO that should be a pretty simple modification as long as automatic
relocating of files is not necessary.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring

  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is a string literal in the i18n function. ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Yet another failed KDE release?
    ... ESPECIALLY after promising support "as long as there are users!" ... triggered a drop of a lot of my former kde software choices with the bump ... kmail, but somewhere about the time it lost my 10th mail or so and I was ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: A week of KDE4 usage
    ... Thanks for the correction on compilation vs collection. ... KDE could only be used together with another product (desktops ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ... KDE user support, developer mentoring ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is not necessarily inexperience of the developer in matter of development, ... had on qt4 was already not negligible. ... kde are getting more full-time professional development and support than ... mostly optional modular libraries built around a central core. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] the windows list - the focus policy
    ... Sounds like a bug, the window of the task switcher should never be behind any ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ... KDE user support, developer mentoring ...
    (KDE)