[kde] Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Hello:

I would like to ask KDE4 developers, on what bases do they call KDE4 KDE.

For me, the KDE user KDE4 does not do anything with the desktop environment I know as KDE (ie. KDE3, KDE2).

The most important difference: one has to learn to use KDE4 from scratch. Knowledge from KDE3 won't lead you anywhere.

The others:

Configurability is far behind KDE3's.
Lookout,
Handling,
Stability,
Speed are very different from those of KDE3. (Ie. uglier, more difficult, weaker, slower.)

I don't want to speak against KDE4 but as a long time KDE3 user I would expect from the name KDE something that can be used on the bases I learned during using KDE3. I can not apply that knowledge to use KDE4.

So why is it called KDE? Why not another new name?
That would be more fair.

Istvan

  • Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
    ... I have used KDE3 on my laptop, which was my main working machine, for over 5 ... I installed KDE4, first with Suse 11.3, then with 11.4. ... The current state of KDE (using 4.6.0, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?
    ... without logging into KDE 4 a digging around a while. ... There's a big bug about it with lots of votes, ... working in kde4 was a serious blocker to switching, ... The solution here was a script and matching config I hacked up. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Ist Kubuntu eher Bananaware?
    ... Peter Lemken "Mal ein paar Eindruecke zu KDE 4.2 eines Umsteigers" ... einem ausgereiften Desktop (die KDE3 nunmal war) umzusteigen? ... Die Entwickler haben sich schließlich etwas dabei gedacht, ... dass einfach nur das alte Zeug weiter auf KDE4 hehievt ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse]KDE4 - What people like/dislike about it
    ... I am not running either version of KDE on a low ... seem smoother on KDE4... ... It's as annoying as that icon mouseover ... KDE3 desktop as it is. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Back to 10.3
    ...  Check your installation. ... I fully disagreed with the decision to give KDE4 "preference" over ... KDE3 in regards to the lack of a KDE3 liveCD(I TRIED to remove KDE4 ... I've used KDE since v2. ...
    (SuSE)