Re: [kde] Why KDE4 is called KDE?

On Wednesday, 2009-12-09, Draciron Smith wrote:

Folder deskview? Let me wretch, first thing I do is close that thing
down. I don't want to "navigate" I want my apps close and easy to get
too. Stuff I use every day 100 times a day I want on the panel. Not on
a desktop I rarely ever see. To even get too the folderview I'd have
to find an empty desktop. On the other desktops it'd just be an
accident waiting to happen when I click through an app and accidently
launch or do something I didn't mean to do.

This is a nice demonstration how useful the added customization option
regarding things on the desktop is.
Some users like the desktop to be one collection of icons, basically the
traditional way. Some users, like yourself, don't want anything on their
desktops, some users, like myself, want several grouped icons on their
desktop.

Through the move from a single hardcoded location displayed as a desktop
overlay to the options of either having one folderview as the desktop, no
folderview at all or several of them, it is now possible to address all three
usage patterns equally.

Additionally, the new architecture allows third parties to offer replacements
for any such component, thus making it easier to address even more usage
patterns without having these third parties burden with the task of writing a
whole new root window manager application.

Oh, and while I usually also look for an empty desktop to access the files in
my folder views, there is the dashboard shortcut (CTRL+F12).

KDE 4 lost tons of funcitonality and is far less customizable. You
would honestly trade all that for eye candy?

Since you seem to be addressing the workspace only, did you mean that when
writing "KDE 4" or did you mean all applications produced with the recent
development framework?

I am asking because the applications I am using seem to have gained
customization options, e.g. KMail's new message list options.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring

  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is a string literal in the i18n function. ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Yet another failed KDE release?
    ... ESPECIALLY after promising support "as long as there are users!" ... triggered a drop of a lot of my former kde software choices with the bump ... kmail, but somewhere about the time it lost my 10th mail or so and I was ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is not necessarily inexperience of the developer in matter of development, ... had on qt4 was already not negligible. ... kde are getting more full-time professional development and support than ... mostly optional modular libraries built around a central core. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... Even if one does do that the answer could be that there is no such API at the ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Why KDE4 is called KDE?
    ... and didn't limit you too just KDE apps, didn't even limit you to X ... In terms of workspace the desktops and panels are very primitive. ... For the folderview to be useful it needs to be easy to ...
    (KDE)