Re: [kde] KDE themes mouse cursor

On Thursday 24 December 2009 02:56:58 Duncan wrote:
Bob Stia posted on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:43:07 -0500 as excerpted:
Hello KDE4 people,

I am very sight impaired. (macular degeneration)

Ouch!

I have a very difficult time seeing many things on the themes shipped
with 11.2. Oxygen is the best so far but not great. I need something
with lots of contrast bold fonts of a decent size etc. Don't need or
want glitz. Just plain easily readable stuff.

First, I don't know what 11.2 is. It's not the kde version number, since
the latest current release is 4.3.4. Maybe it's your distribution
version number, but you don't say which distribution and this is the kde
list, not your distribution list. Never-the-less, I'll assume it's the
SuSE version number, since AFAIK that sounds about right for them. That
would mean you're running SuSE, but as this is a kde list not a SuSE
list, you can't really assume that we'll know what version of kde you're
using just because you say the version of distribution you're using.
That info would be helpful, but this is a general enough question, we'll
do without that info for now, and make the I think valid assumption that
you're running SuSE and that the current version includes a reasonably
current kde, tho it's likely not the latest...

Hello Duncan,

You must be a very intuitive or logical person. You figured it out. SuSE 11.2.
My bad....should have been more explicit. KDE version is 4.3.1

Next, on accessibility, make sure you have the kdeaccessibility package
installed. Your distribution may package it as a single package, or
multiple split packages. Here on Gentoo, the combined package is a meta-
package that pulls in all the others as dependencies. Here's the list of
what it pulls in, in case you have them separate as well:

kdeaccessibility-colorschemes
kdeaccessibility-iconthemes
kmag
kmousetool
kmouth
kttsd

Thanks. I will check those packages out. I guess a simple rpm -q will find
them?

kttsd is the text to speech engine, and kmouth reads what you type
outloud. You'll probably find kttsd useful, at least. kmousetool clicks
the mouse for you -- not your problem. kmag may be interesting, but kde
already includes magnifier effects as an option (under desktop effects in
kcontrol/systemsettings) as long as you have composite effects available.

Does kttsd or kmouth also read highlighted text, like a mail message for
instance? Think I checked it out back in 3.5 and it didn't work too well.

You'll probably want the kdeaccessibility-colorschemes and iconthemes. I
don't have them installed at present, but as I recall, they DO include
very high contrast themes, which is what you need.

OK

You can then tweak fonts, colors and icons in kcontrol/systemsettings as
necessary.

OK

The other thing you'll need to set is plasma's themes. These are
selectable not from kcontrol, but from the desktop/activity settings
dialog. Here, I really don't know what would be best. Maybe someone
else has some idea.

That is where I set Oxygen. Default was Air. There were only a few choices.

I've gone to KDE look and searched for themes but it is hard to tell
what they actually look like unless you download and install them. That
could take forever. Hopefully some of you out there have seen a theme
that I can use.

Also need to find a bigger bolder mouse pointer. How does one find that
in KDE4? I have searched all through the desktop settings without
finding it.

kcontrol/systemsettings, computer administration, keyboard & mouse,
mouse. That's the kcontrol applet. The second tab is cursor themes. Of
course, you can only select from themes you have installed, but there are
BIG versions of most of the default KDE cursor themes (kdebase-cursors
package, here on Gentoo, part of the kdebase meta-package, of course).
Your distribution likely has others, and kde-look should have still
others. Since mouse cursors are generic X, gnome-look and etc may have
other useful choices, as well.

Thanks. Denis put me on to that and now I have an adequate mouse pointer.
Speaking of cursors, do you know of a way to make the flashing cursor while
typing bigger/fatter whatever? or is that hardcoded. I need it in Kmail,
Konsole, OoenOffice, etc.

Bob S

  • Re: [kde] KDE themes mouse cursor
    ... It's not the kde version number, ... but you don't say which distribution and this is the kde ... Next, on accessibility, make sure you have the kdeaccessibility package ... kcontrol/systemsettings) as long as you have composite effects available. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] kde settings files / packages - debugging and changing user settings as a distribution
    ... Several packages for changing kde settings as a Linux distribution have ... This is because user settings always overrule distribution defaults. ... The package description contains a limitation. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] How to learn about all those configuration file values?
    ... There is an Ubuntu Package kde-settings-lowfat. ... having run kde since the kde2 era, ... the network, keeping the kde core informed of what network-based services ... early in the kde startup process, collects the config information from ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] IA64 KDEGRAPHICS Upgrade??
    ... you'd ask on the Debian lists for the Debian ... with KDE as the main windowing software/Desktop. ... KDE is "upstream" of Debian, and provides the sources for its packages. ... distribution, it's those that the distribution has provided. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: "Copy" in KMail picks up HTML formatting
    ... This has been reported in previous threads and is obviously a bug, ... since kde 4.2.4, with kmail as my regular mail client and have never seen ... otherwise skipped), so since then, the stable kdepim release has stuck ... testing and integration time required for the distribution. ...
    (KDE)