From: kevin.krammer@xxxxxx
To: kde-linux@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] kppp
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:46:31 +0100

On Friday, 2010-01-01, falkengeist@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not. I couldn't find
anything specifically dealing with kppp. If I'm in the wrong
place,
please give me some direction. If I'm in the right place, please
give me some help.

I'm currently using Xandros Linux, it's KDE/Deb for those of you
not
familiar with it. I think it's great, and I've been using it for
years. Unfortunately, I understand that it will no longer be
offered, and it actually hasn't been updated in 3 years. This has
caused some issues with current hardware drivers, especially
CD/DVD.
I want to move on to something that's current and updated on a
regular basis. I've tried Fedora, SUSE, Mandriva, Mepis, and
Kubuntu. I have the same problem with everyone.

Having the same problem is not really a surprise since they all use
kppp. My problem is that I can't connect using dial-up. I'm using
3Com Courier serial modem that works fine with Xandros and Windows.
Keep in mind that that Xandros is not current enough to have kppp.
I'm assuming it uses pppconfig, but has it's own network
configuration scheme. The point is it works with my serial modem
and
also many Winmodems.

After configuring with kppp and trying to connect, CTS, RTS, MR,
and
DTN come up solid, but I never go off hook and the modem sits there
and we stare at each other. The modem query works fine, and it's
obviously recognized OK. I've tried numerous things without
success,
and I'm out of ideas at this point. I do want to mention that SUSE
has it's own, additional network setup, and after running through
that I did connect. Problem there is it's cumbersome and kept
disconnecting also. Mandriva is very close to Xandros, and would
probably be my distribution of choice if I could get the dial-up
working. Their forums yielded no insight as to what the problem
might be.

To which stage if KPPPs connection stage to you get?
I am using KPPP to connect via a PCCard "mobile broadband" card and
had
occasional problems with the card's specific driver which would make
KPPP hang
at the "initializing modem" stage or sometimes as late as the
"connecting to
network" stage.

Is this modem of yours an externally connected one? Traditional
serial or USB?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring