Re: [kde] KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Sagara Wijetunga posted on Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:44:17 +0800 as excerpted:

I have another update.

I made a small change in my /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh:
- KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde4
+ KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde

Now startx does not pop with kstartupconfig4 issue and it continue. I
get a very nice graphical screen, hard disk icon come first, I get some
more icons, and I finally get the KDE logo and then run for a while and
plasma-desktop crashes.

Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not
send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "

What version of hal are you running? What version of qt4? What
platform, 32-bit x86, amd64/x86_64, or other? If it's only plasma-
desktop-crashing, you can probably use alt-F2 to bring up krunner, and
run individual apps from there, tho of course that's a poor replacement
for all the services and eye candy plasma-desktop provides.

I forgot which list (the general kde list or the Linux one) I posted my
(different thread) reply to, but there, for the OP, kde was starting, but
plasma-desktop was crashing. In my first reply, I noted that I had the
same issue on my (brand new installation so no working history to go on,
and a fresh user config as well) netbook, but that my main machine was
working fine. But on the problem machine, as indicated above, I could
still run stuff in kde using krunner, and little else seemed affected.

I run Gentoo, and found the issue listed in Gentoo's bugzilla.
Apparently, hal-0.5.14 doesn't get along well with qt-4.6.0 -- but ONLY
on some archs -- 32-bit x86 has the problem, amd64 aka x86_64 doesn't.
I'm not sure on other archs.

So I package.masked hal-0.5.14 on my netbook, thus forcing a downgrade to
0.5.13-r2 (the -r2 notation indicating this is the third (r0 is the
first, with the -r0 bit left off) gentoo version bump of the same
upstream package version). The alternative was of course to package-mask
qt-4.6.0, but it's a bigger package (actually, on Gentoo, set of
packages) and would have required longer to recompile, so I went with the
easy one.

It worked! plasma-desktop quit crashing! So maybe you have the same
issue, now that you've worked thru the others, if you're 32-bit x86, and
running qt-4.6.0 and hal-0.5.14.

Even if that's not the issue, perhaps you can use krunner to start the
critical stuff, until you figure out what's wrong with plasma-desktop.
Among other things (and it wasn't clear from your post, maybe you're
doing this already), if krunner is working, you can use it to invoke
konsole, and then try running plasma-desktop from konsole. That might
work, or it might still crash, but at least then, you can follow the
plasma-desktop errors specifically, without having all the other kde-
launching output to work thru as well.

  • Re: [kde] KDE 4.3.4 cannot start
    ... for all the services and eye candy plasma-desktop provides. ... I forgot which list (the general kde list or the Linux one) I posted my ... still run stuff in kde using krunner, ... konsole, and then try running plasma-desktop from konsole. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] application starter, etc
    ... Startx gets me a KDE desktop, ... It sounds like the functional package is installed, ... binary is plasma-desktop, the packages would include plasma-runtime, ... sounds like you may be missing an icons package, or more likely, the KDE ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Sidux uses Kubuntu KDE version for desktop
    ... I deleted everything having to do with KDE ... settings for KDE4 the screen went to the kubuntu desktop again. ... kde 4.4.x, look under Desktop Activity Settings, Wallpaper. ... least plasma-desktop is shut down. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] How Can I change wallpaper from CLI?
    ... but when i tried to support KDE I cannot find a possible way to change ... Here I'm reasonably handy with bash scripting, ... looking for the appropriate wallpaper sections (note that there ... Of course some users use plasma-netbook instead of plasma-desktop. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Plasma-desktop becoming very slow
    ... after leaving my system running for a while with virtuoso-t eating ... some CPU, virtuoso-t eventually finishes and everything is fine. ... This is on Kubuntu 11.10 with KDE 4.8.2. ... Restarting plasma-desktop works for me, ...
    (KDE)