Re: [kde] Pam configuration for KDE 4.3

Thanks for you answer
I can't login through KDM with whatever user (same output in /var/log/auth.log)

But I can login in console mode and then startx as you suggest: it works, but once under KDE I cannot switch to another user (first user is locked, and cannot be unlocked: same problem)

Duncan a écrit :
thierry.jeanmougin@xxxxxxxxxxx posted on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:14:59 +0100
as excerpted:

Hello

I have just build KDE 4.3, but I cannot connect through KDM. Extract
from /var/log/auth.log

Jan 31 11:38:25 localhost kcheckpass[1268]: Authentication failure for
kde-devel (invoked by uid 1009)
Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost unix_chkpwd[1272]: check pass; user unknown
Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost unix_chkpwd[1273]: check pass; user unknown
Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost unix_chkpwd[1273]: password check failed for
user (kde-devel)
Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost kcheckpass[1271]: pam_unix(kde:auth):
authentication failure; logname= uid=1009 euid=1009 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=
user=kde-devel

It seems the problem comes from the PAM configuration, but I have not
found any hint concerning the PAM configuration for KDE.

I'm no pam guru, but that seems plain enough. It's looking for a user named "kde-devel" and not finding one in the password database. So were you trying to login under that name? Something was.

Given that kdm is the KDE/X graphical login, I'd check its permissions. What do you mean you can't connect thru it? Does it start and won't let you login as anything, or does it not even start?

FWIW, I don't run any *DM here. I login at the CLI, then run a script that sets up a bit of stuff (KDEHOME and a couple other vars, so I don't have to use the default ~/.kde, etc, running kbuildsycoca4 and setting the XSESSION up to run startkde), then runs startx. Most of the setup I do isn't required, just stuff I do because my setup isn't quite default. You should therefore simply be able to point your XSESSION as appropriate and run startx, bypassing KDM (and other *DM) entirely. Does that work?