Re: [kde-linux] Printing standard keyboard shortcuts

On Saturday 13 March 2010 04:46:34 pm Duncan wrote:
sc posted on Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:11:42 -0600 as excerpted:
On Saturday 13 March 2010 03:44:24 pm Thomas Taylor wrote:
Is there some way to print out the listing of "standard

keyboard shortcuts" as listed in Desktop Configuration? I've
made a couple of changes but want to make sure that I don't
clobber the existing shortcuts which I'm used to. Unfortunately
there is no print button in the configuration window.

Further, is there a simple way to tell if some key combination

is used in any kde program within the "global shortcuts" without
having to work through the list?

i've been known to take pictures of stuff like that with ksnapshot
(hardwired to my print screen button in my distro) then embed the
_.png in an oowriter document if i want a hardcopy

What I'd do in such a case is find the config file and use that as my
listing, printing it or backing it up if necessary. I don't have
time to go looking now, but presumably, it's under
$KDEHOME/share/apps/<something-recognizable> or
$KDEHOME/share/config/<something-recognizable> .

($KDEHOME defaults to ~/.kde, or ~/.kde4 or the like on some
distributions. The apps subdir contains per-app subdirs of its own,
while the config subdir contains individual files.)

The config files are designed to be human readable, and it's
generally pretty clear what's going on, even to the point of being a
simple list, once you get the right config file. strace comes in
useful for finding where an app is looking for the config files, tho
you need to grep-filter out a *LOT* of extraneous info to find the
otherwise needle in a haystack.

Thanks to both of you for the responses. SCs idea sounds interesting
except I don't have a digital camera (would be useful).

Think I'll modify the standard keyboard shortcuts in desktop configure
and then look at the files under ~/.kde4/../config and sort them by
mtime, then hopefully the most recent will have what I want.

Thanks again.
--
Thanks, Tom (retired penguin)
openSUSE 11.3M3 x86_64, KDE 4.4.0