Re: [kde-linux] kdm problems and alternatives

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
Hi,

I have experienced problems after upgrading kdebase-workspace to 4.4.1: kdm
does not more start kde, but pops up a window with a message "fatal error,
consult your administrator". Neither kdm.log, nor Xorg.log messages are
different from those reported during normal operation. As I did not change
anything besides building and installing again workspace, I presume a)
kdebase-workspace-4.4.1 has a bug, or b) something related with authorization
is stopping the process. ( all other KDE components where already upgraded to
4.4.1 )

I could not fix this problem. But there is an alternative login manager, slim (
simple login manager ), http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLIM. SLIM is easy
to build (KDE-4.4 users: see patch ) and very easy to configure. It is
independent from GNOME or KDE.

Disregarding the origin of the problems, there are a lot of complains about
kdm not being able to start KDE. SLIM could be a good alternative.

Edgar
(linux from scratch )

I don't know if this is related or not but I noticed this little
interesting problem. If log out of KDE, let it get back to a kdm screen
and then do a ctrl alt backspace, kdm completely dies or at least
appears to. It takes me back to a console. If I switch back to where
kdm would be, ctrl alt F7, all I see is a cursor at the top.

The only way to restart it is to go to a console and restart the init
script. I don't know if this is related to your problem or not but it
seems to have started with my 4.4.1 upgrade. Sort of different but may
be related.

This is sort of odd.

Dale

:-) :-)

  • Re: [kde-linux] kdm problems and alternatives
    ... I have experienced problems after upgrading kdebase-workspace to 4.4.1: kdm ... does not more start kde, but pops up a window with a message "fatal error, ... But there is an alternative login manager, slim ( ...
    (KDE)
  • Upgrading KDE 3.4.2 -> 3.4.3 - I am stuck!
    ... checking sys/bitypes.h presence... ... checking if UIC has KDE plugins available... ... checking whether to use Kerberos5 for Xauth cookies in kdm... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • [UNIX] KDM Vulnerabilities (pam_setcred, session cookie)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Two issues have been discovered in KDM: ... case of error conditions in the installed PAM modules, ... All versions of KDM as distributed with KDE up to and including KDE 3.1.3. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: From KDE back to Gnome (a subject to future newbie-doc site ?)
    ... Now I have switched back to Gnome again. ... And changed kdm to gdm. ... it assumes kde. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • 10.04 broke my kubuntu, how to fix?
    ... normally until the kdm login screen. ... but then kdm fails to start the KDE desktop. ... I want to avoid re-installing Ubuntu from scratch. ...
    (Ubuntu)