Re: [kde] issue details was KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Huh? Kwrite I think predates Kedit. I remember Kwrite from KDE 0.x

I couldn't say whether there has even been a prior version of KWrite.
However, KWrite is the 'light edition' and Kate the fully featured one.

Maybe they renamed Kwrite as it vanished from KDE for a time but Kedit
and Kwrite both predate Kate. That Kwrite is a scaled down verison of
Kate explains it's memory issues and the problems I've had with it. I
like the concept of Kate but would have to seriously modify it to meet
my needs. That's part of why I'm writing my own editor. Which if I
ever get it done I'll release as open source but it's not going to be
in C++.

No places where?  Sorry I don't understand what you mean.  As for how to
connect to another machine, I have my connections mounted in fstab, then I
have a small (scrollable) folderview to those connections.  In Dolphin, for
quick file management, I have the same connections in the Places section.

Not sure I don't use Dolphin and tend to set new users up with
Krusader, though KDE4 has been a bit of change as Dolphin is the new
default file util. As I said I don't use it, but dophin windows
pointed at a predefined dir would solve the problem if that's
possible.

Yup using core repos. I've only added a few repos. Long ago learned a
hard lesson abut having too many repos added.

Version numbers are significant to this question.  As you say, FF had a
bad memory leak at one point.  X had a really bad one recently.  Neither
of those can be blamed on KDE, although they have a major impact for
users.
Mentioned the KDE version. Might be the X leak was aggravating things.

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: x86-02 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5
Current Operating System: Linux localhost.localdomain
2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 5 16:32:08 EDT 2010 i686

OK - that's the version my F12 laptop has too, and the memory leak is no
longer present.

Good it was driving me nuts LOL.

The number of packages to be downloaded is something of an issue.  My old
laptop was running out of space, and I kept having to delete debug packages to
make more space for the next lot.  Having said that, though, abrt did always
work for me, so I don't know what your issue is.

Got over a terrabyte across my various machines so space isn't a
problem. Not sure either, but it gets mighty fussy about the whole
thing. Was working fine under KDE 3.x

If it didn't involve C++ coding I'd probably
jump in and help code. I gave up C/C++ in 96 and don't miss it one
bit.

I don't think it has to involve C++.  There is a plan to run a klassroom on
forum.kde.org to help people interested in getting started.  The whole point
of this initiative is that some developers feel that potential contributors
are being put off unnecessarily, and could be helped to start.  If you're
interested I'll post here when the course is ready to run.  The format usually
is that the klassroom runs over a specific time - often a week or a weekend,
and you join in as and when you can.  Let me know if you're interested (or
anyone else, for that matter).

Checked it out. C++ is required and I don't do C++ any more. Won't go
into specifics but until they drop the semi-colens as line terminators
it's not a language I want to use.