[kde] Re: favicons in Konqueror

Am Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2010 schrieb Duncan:
phanisvara das posted on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:34:59 +0530 as
excerpted:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:12:58 +0530, Martin (KDE)
<kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
I recently tidied up my harddrive and removed all favicons from
the cache folder. The icons are reload if I visit a webpage
with favicon, but konqueror does not show them (neither in my
bookmarks nor in the address line). rekonq on the other hand
displays them. Is anyone seeing this?

my konqueror (openSUSE 11.4, KDE Distro:/Factory) does show
favicons. didn't delete the cache though.

That reply points out by example some critical information the OP
is missing. What version of konqueror/kde are we talking? What
distribution as well, in case it's a distro-specific patch? Any
other potentially mitigating factors to be aware of? (The OP
/did/ include a couple of those, that the favicons were deleted,
that they reload and rekonq shows them but konqueror doesn't.)

Jep, sorry missed out some basic infos. I use fedora 14 with recent
kde4 (here is 4.5.4) on x86.

Given the rekonq mention, it's probably a reasonably new kde4, not
someone still on 3.5 or something, but we still don't know how
new, 4.6 beta, in which case that might be a beta bug, 4.5.4,
4.5.0, 4.4.something?

FWIW, gentoo/~amd64 here, running the latest upstream stable
(4.5.4) from the gentoo/kde overlay. I'm not currently having
favicon issues but I've had them in the past.

I had problems with favicons every now and then but never that bad as
of now. Strange thing however is that every now and then one or two
icons reapear. And most of web pages not listed in my bookmarks shows
favicons left to the URL.

FWIW I've never had rekonq installed. Konqueror is my primary
browser, but I use firefox a lot as well, particularly where
scripting is involved since noscript makes figuring out which
sites a page is trying to load scripts from so much easier than
anything I've seen for konqueror. Both of them run thru my
privoxy junk-busting, &c. personal proxy by default. I have both
links and lynx available for backup text-mode browsing, should it
be necessary, as well. (Kinda hard to google a problem preventing
X or KDE from starting, or download a fix manually, when all your
browsers run in KDE on X!)

I started using rekonq about one year ago as khtml didn't satisfy me
any longer. But I try konqueror/khtml to check if it is getting better
(and it is) as rekonq crashes way to often.

The problem I had here was due to where KDE locates the cache, by
default. I run a tmpfs based /tmp and set KDETMP=/tmp/tmp-user/kde
in my kde launch scripts, so tempfiles are on the tmpfs and get
erased at reboot. Unfortunately when I first set that up, I had
kde trying to put favicons there as well, and naturally, they'd
all disappear on a reboot! For konqueror I could have lived with
that, but akregator used the same favicon cache and I found the
loss of its icons unacceptable. I ended up setting
KDEVARTMP=/home/user/config/cache, and things have "just worked"
since then. (FWIW, KDEHOME=/home/user/kde , note that I do NOT
like .file hidden paths/files!)

I didn't touch these environment variables. And the favicons are
loaded as soon as I visit the webpage. I can see them in the favicon
folder. But konqueror refused to show them.

So I'd suggest checking the values of those variables, if they are
set (if the compiled-in defaults are fine for you, you might not
need them set, but if they ARE set), and that they are set and
exported early enough so konqueror for sure sees them.

If you're on Fedora or something else running SELinux or the like,
it's also possible that the file access policies for konqueror are
set such that it can't access the new favicons. Being a web
browser, thus exposed to all sorts of Internet based exploits,
it's more likely that they'd set a rather strict security policy
for it than for local-only apps. Rekonq is possibly new enough
that it doesn't have such a security policy set for it, yet. But
I've never gotten into SELinux or the like, so you'll have to go
elsewhere for help in any detail on it.

As I had some strange warnings with SELinux I have set it to warning
only

So maybe it is time to check if a fresh user has the same problems. My
.kde folder is basically 10 years old.

Martin

  • [kde] Re: favicons in Konqueror
    ... my konqueror does show favicons. ... didn't delete the cache though. ... KDE from starting, or download a fix manually, when all your browsers run ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] favicons in Konqueror
    ... I recently tidied up my harddrive and removed all favicons from the ... The icons are reload if I visit a webpage with favicon, ... but konqueror does not show them (neither in my bookmarks nor in the ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Whats the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?
    ... It is bullshit when you state that you are being forced to use KDE4. ... mostly unconnected with KDE. ... the-less, I expect konqueror 4.x to work better (or anyway, not worse, it ... of the java and scripting applet in konqueror's config/preferences), ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] I just noticed: no more crashes! Thanks, KDE team!
    ... I've been sort of busy for a while, and then a little ill, so not much ... acitivity here and with KDE. ... From what I understand enabling this option in Konqueror enables it ... krunner was MUCH more stable for me after I followed the suggestion ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] THE kde desktop is slow...
    ... I takes long time to load the desktop successfully, ... For example, I want to open the konqueror,or opera. ... I haven't updated it in awhile, but I run kde ... tho it /has/ been awhile since I updated; ...
    (KDE)