[kde] Re: favicons in Konqueror

Am Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2010 schrieb Duncan:
Martin \(KDE\) posted on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:41:12 +0100 as
excerpted:
So maybe it is time to check if a fresh user has the same
problems. My .kde folder is basically 10 years old.

=:^) Mine too, tho I've gone thru and cleaned it up from time to
time. Yes, the fresh-user thing's a very good idea to try.

With a fresh user I got different problems. Seems to be very broken
the favicon stuff in konqui.

Meanwhile, that you can see the favicons reappear in the cache when
you visit the page again, but konqueror fails to display them,
sounds to me like it might be one of two things, either something
related to the recent image-cache (graphics not browser related)
issues in early kde-4.5 that were at least partially fixed in
4.5.3 and 4.5.4, or some other sort of race condition, where
konqueror tries to display the icon before it's actually there,
and then doesn't try again after it's in the cache.

I'd try the fresh user thing, and then check bugzilla for related
bugs, too.

There is a bug there (153049) and it pretty describes my problems with
favicons. If a favicon is not in the bookmark list it shows up fine,
otherwise sometimes it shows, sometimes not. In the bookmarklist
favicons are visible sometimes only if the mouse is over the icon,
sometimes it is only visible if the mouse is not above the icon.

As I said, I'm running 4.5.4 here too, on Gentoo, and haven't
noticed the issue, so it doesn't appear to be hitting everyone.
Hopefully it's something in your local user config and you can
resolve it there.

As long as you don't delete icons from your favicon cache you will not
notice it.

Martin

  • Re: Retaining Unique Icons in IE Favorites
    ... favorites icon it is stored in your TIF cache as a favicon that is then ... deleted when you empty the cache and so returned to the generic. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Favicon is not showing in IE7
    ... the browser will cache its' own icon with the shortcut ... when there is no favicon available. ...
  • Re: IE icon problem
    ... > I just set it as a favorite and it shows the favicon. ... > Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache. ... Many address have their own icon instead of using the ... I have drag and dropped some address from Mozilla to IE to ...
  • Re: favicon.ico vs. IE
    ... are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will see the favicon. ... icons and is, in my opinion, clearly a bug among other bugs ... "To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in ... automatically request the favicon.ico for such webpage even if there ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: Eureka Lost Favicon - this what I did
    ... Enter key -- expect your tiny Favicon come out. ... Right click the icon and Save Picture As tweaks.ico ... Rename tweaks.ico as Kellys_tweaks.ico ... > Create a folder called Icon Selection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)