[kde] Re: Sidebar to display system monitors

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 23:03:02 +0530, Kevin O'Brien <zwilnik@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/8/2011 12:11 PM, phanisvara das wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 22:36:01 +0530, Kevin O'Brien<zwilnik@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to have a sidebar on my desktop to display things like
system monitors, weather info, etc. IS there a way to do that in KDE 4+?
If not, is there a better way to do this? What I would like is the have
this info always on top, without hiding anything underneath it.

easy: just add another panel by right-clicking on the desktop. (you'll have to 'unlock' the widgets first, if they are locked.) in your case i'd choose an 'empty' panel, which will by default appear on top of the screen, i think. at the right of that panel you find a diamond-type of thingy; click on that to open config. options for that new panel. one of the controls says 'edge' or 'screen edge'; drag that to the side of the screen where you want the panel. under 'more options' you can choose if application windows can cover the panel, or move under it (which is what you want, if i understood correctly).

Thanks, that got me the panel. But what I really want is to keep other
windows from any overlap with the panel, i.e., I don't want application
windows to go over or to go under. I s there a setting for that?

ah, so i misunderstood. just choose the "always visible" option; that should do it.

--
phani.

  • Re: kde vs gnome
    ... write if u like kde or gnome more than the other one and why. ... secondary windows in OpenOffice 1.1.0. ... configuration panel, and one of the better file managers I've seen. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: kde vs gnome
    ... write if u like kde or gnome more than the other one and why. ... > secondary windows in OpenOffice 1.1.0. ... > configuration panel, and one of the better file managers I've seen. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • [kde] Re: Sidebar to display system monitors
    ... system monitors, weather info, etc. ... that got me the panel. ... windows to go over or to go under. ... This message is from the kde mailing list. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: Sidebar to display system monitors
    ... system monitors, weather info, etc. ... that got me the panel. ... windows to go over or to go under. ... This message is from the kde mailing list. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: is there a sticky note application in Red Hat Linux?
    ... Basically, I was using windows all the time, just ... > a few days ago, somebody else grabbed my PC, so I have to use Linux. ... There is atleast on fedora, right click panel, Accessories->Sticky Notes ... (for KDE I don't know) ...
    (linux.redhat)