[kde] Re: How to set up Menu items such that if an instance is already running, the running instance is brought to the foreground?

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 17:16, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Dotan, while writing the above, I thought of another angle, as well.
Perhaps part of the problem for your seniors is kde's session management.
If they quit kde with several app instances running and kde restarts them
when it comes back up, but they don't understand that, they may be
starting a new instance each time, not thinking that kde might have
remembered what was running the last time and restarted it, so the
instances gradually build up...

Of course, you can make kde start with a clean session each time, if you
wish.  That would cure that issue.

For my mother in law I know that it starts a new session each time.
For the other I'm not sure, but I will check it.

But what about going about it from the other angle?  Have kde start all
the apps they need, then save that as their session, and hide the
launcher, so all they have is the taskbar.  You could take the close
button off the title bar too, making it more difficult to close the apps,
and if they did, they'd only have to restart kde to have the pre-set
session come back with all their apps.

That's actually not a bad idea! I already run a fix-kde script when
they log into to reset the damage that they've done to the panel the
last time:

#!/bin/bash
kbuildsycoca4
kquitapp plasma-desktop
cp $HOME/.bin/kde-fix/plasma-desktoprc $HOME/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc
cp $HOME/.bin/kde-fix/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
$HOME/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
kstart plasma-desktop

Adding the apps that I know they use (and I know all the apps that
they use) would be trivial. Thanks, that is a terrific solution!

It may or may not work in practice, but it's certainly thinking about the
problem from "outside the box".  Reverse the problem and it goes away. =:^)

I will try it and we'll see in a few weeks if it helps. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com