[kde] Re: KDE Quality (problems)

On Thursday, 2011-04-14, Billie Walsh wrote:

I suppose we all have our favorite parts of KDE. For me it's Quanta. For
whatever reason the devs at wherever have pretty much decided it was not
worth the effort to bring it along with KDE 4.x. There is one person
trying to bring it along and I hope someday he manages to do it.

Why they decided to kill off Quanta is beyond me, well maybe "kill off"
is a bit of an over statement, but it is crippled very badly.

John already explained parts of it, i.e. the project losing its main funding
[1].

Unfortunate timing made that overlap with the transition to Qt4 which required
more time than "just" normal development.

Knowing that KDE as a community decided to boost the porting by assiging one
of our Google Summer of Code slots for that task a couple of years back.
Unfortunately this was on of the times when a student failed, even one of
those who dropped out right after mid term evaluation.

Despite its dire situation one of the KDevelop gurus applied for a GSoC slot
for Quanta+ last year, but even after his hard work (Go Milian!) it is still
not anywhere close to its best times and no maintainer on the horizon either.

Maybe its because most web sites are done in backend/frontend separation now,
with something like PHP on backend and JavaScript on frontend and people are
using specialized tools for the two.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] Big thanks to Eric Laffoon and his company Kitty Hooch Catnip for
sponsoring a full time Quanta+ developer for several years, for a short term
even a second one to work on Kommander
KDE user support, developer mentoring

  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is a string literal in the i18n function. ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: KDE Quality (problems)
    ... slot for Quanta+ last year, but even after his hard work it ... The persons doing KDE on Windows are only a very small group within the KDE ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Yet another failed KDE release?
    ... ESPECIALLY after promising support "as long as there are users!" ... triggered a drop of a lot of my former kde software choices with the bump ... kmail, but somewhere about the time it lost my 10th mail or so and I was ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is not necessarily inexperience of the developer in matter of development, ... had on qt4 was already not negligible. ... kde are getting more full-time professional development and support than ... mostly optional modular libraries built around a central core. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... Even if one does do that the answer could be that there is no such API at the ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)