[kde] Re: KDM not starting after upgrade

On 05/21/2011 02:14 PM, Duncan wrote:

It looks like so. You'd have only encountered problems when you tried the
kwin --replace and/or plasma-desktop steps, since they use opengl, and
likely only kwin, as plasma-desktop uses opengl, but not to the same
degree. (FWIW, the comic-strip-plasmoid, of /all/ things, appears to use
opengl accelerated drawing functionality that triggered an agp-only radeon
drm kernel regression bug I had at one point. The rest of my plasma config
worked fine, as long as I didn't have a comic strip configured!)

Thanks for the update! Knowing how it was ultimately resolved... is both
potentially helpful if others have the problem, and fills my own curiosity.

I did "try and run plasma and kwin from xfce" thing and plasma worked,
but kwin caused a lock-up. As I was running from the command line I saw
the messages from kwin and basically there were just four lines which
more or less said :

1. The GL vendor is NVIDIA Corporation
2. The GL renderer is <my graphics card identifier>
3. The GL version is 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06
4. The driver is nvidia version 270.41.06

After that : total lock-up.

At that point I realised that in running nvidia driver version 270..., I
had leap-frogged Slackware's (unofficially) packaged nvidia driver which
was 260.... I uninstalled the 270 version, installed the Slackware
package and found that everything worked just fine from the outset,
apart from the need to put back some desktop backgrounds and a
quicklaunch widget.

The moral is : don't try and be smarter than the guys building your distro.

Thanks again for you interest Duncan.

  • Re: [opensuse] plasmadesktop+kwin memory hog solution
    ... whenever i am running kde after a few days plasma-desktop grows to take well over 1gb ram and 1gb swap and kwin over around 500Mb and i have to restart x. ... if anyone has any other way of making plasma-desktop,kwin and also xorg take much less memory then please share. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] plasmadesktop+kwin memory hog solution
    ... whenever i am running kde after a few days plasma-desktop grows to take well over 1gb ram and 1gb swap and kwin over around 500Mb and i have to restart x. ... if anyone has any other way of making plasma-desktop,kwin and also xorg take much less memory then please share. ... but i couldn't find any solution(i've even tried a custom compiled firefox. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] CPU load recent update
    ... slowdowns plus xorg and kwin both consuming 60% and up of processor is there ... This is a quad core AMD Phenome software as per sig block with Nvidia graphics ... and Nvidia driver that has been solid so far with no video problems Nvidia ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] CPU load recent update
    ... slowdowns plus xorg and kwin both consuming 60% and up of processor is there ... This is a quad core AMD Phenome software as per sig block with Nvidia graphics ... and Nvidia driver that has been solid so far with no video problems Nvidia ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde] How do I activate compiz on kde with F10?
    ... ...if you have Intel video. ... nvidia, it hasn't gone well. ... In my case, I have also an old nVidia card, and KWin always ...
    (KDE)