[kde] Re: lost Desktop

Duncan writes:

Alex Schuster posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:47:36 +0200 as excerpted:

But you can easily recreate the folder plasmoid. Click the cashew on the
very top right of your screen (unlock the widgets before if you do not
see it), and select the first menu entry. Something like 'Add
mini-programs'. You will get a list of available plasmoids no the bottom
of the screen, look for the folder plasmoid (I guess it's called like
that). Drag it to the desktop. It probably already shows your desktop
folder. If not, open its settings by clicking the monkey wrench symbol
on the handle that appears when you are over the plasmoid, there you can
select the directory. BTW, I like to have several of those folder
plasmoids, pointing to different directories.

I know you're translating here, but I do find the literal translations
you used both enlightening and entertaining, knowing the English words
used. =:^)

I'm glad you have fun :-)

FWIW, one of my akregator feeds is language log, because I
find how people use (and misuse) words an interesting topic. They run a
couple posts a day, generally 7 days a week, so it's not too high
traffic, just nice and steady daily food for contemplation. The log is
in English but discusses language use (and myths about it) in many
different languages. Some of the funniest posts are about "Chinglish"
mistranslations, but eggcorns and snowclones are languagelog coinages and
the use of language in legal scope gets its turn (and a number of the
professional linguists there have testified in court cases on the topic)
too, so it definitely has its serious side as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Log

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish (That image of a "construction in
progress" sign illustrating the concept is a must see!)

Funnny :) I like the 'Spread to fuch the fruit' supermarket. Ugh, 'Fried
enema'.

Anyway...

"Add widgets".

You got "unlock widgets", but not "add widgets", which you translated as
"add mini-programs". Are different terms used for those two in German,
which I believe I saw you mention you were translating from? If so, it'd
be interesting to see what the literal translation of unlock widgets is,
for contrast.

No, it's always 'Miniprogramme', mini programs. I think I remembered
'unlock widgets' from a posting here so I used that. And I was in a
little hurry, so I didn't think for too long about this.

It's the "Folderview" plasmoid.

And... "monkey wrench"... not wrong at all, but I found the addition of
"monkey" interesting.

I learnt this the hard way.

I was stuck playing Monkey Island, the waterfall blocked my way. There
was a pump near which seemEd to control it, but I was unable to operate
it without the proper tool. Of course I already did USE BANANA ON
METRONOME, so the piano-playing monkey got hypnotized and I could stuff
him into my pocket, but it didn't occur to me I should USE MONKEY ON
PUMP, using him as wrench. It was years later when I read the
explanation. From then on I used 'monkey wrench' for 'Schraubenschlüssel'.

dict.leo.org suggests [screw] wrench or spanner. Or 'monkey wrench' for
'englischer Schraubenschlüssel'. Ah, 'der Engländer'! An adjustable
wrench. Oh, and there even is 'crescent wrench' for 'Swiss spanner'.

Wonko

  • [kde] OT: language Was: lost Desktop
    ... If you think about it, yes, fried enema definitely sounds worse than ... "monkey" interesting. ... PUMP, using him as wrench. ... and there even is 'crescent wrench' for 'Swiss spanner'. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Another net
    ... interchangeable with "adjustable pipe wrench". ... From a very early age I was taught that the name 'monkey wrench' ... ....and so the mythology of word origins based on conjecture continue. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Another net
    ... I would say I wanted a pipe wrench. ... because in the USA the term "monkey wrench" is very much ... piling rig in very much the same way that the adjustable jaw of the ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Another net
    ... between the Stillson and a monkey, but I suppose I'm just missing ... The myth not supported by fact is the idea that "monkey wrench" was ... The "pipe pliers" use a screw to ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Singing Monkey
    ... You don't want to pay to be serviced by a monkey, ... Edwin: cannot stop himself from thinking about monkey sex. ... The term "all widgets" does not specify a specific subgroup of widgets ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)