Re: [kde] KDE Panel freezing when HDMI connected

On Monday, 2011-09-12, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 12 Sep 2011 Alex Schuster wrote:
I don't know it this is possible for a single-threaded application, I
assume the answer is no. I do not think there is some sort of supervisor
that calls and controls the individual plasmoids. When a plasmoid's code
being executed, and that goes in an endless loop, it will stay, and
plasma will not react any further. At least that's my understanding.

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or that is unbelievable. From the
earliest days of basic coding you could set a timer so that if no response
was obtained by then the loop exited. Are you saying that 30 years on
this is not possible?

Ah, but the timer won't fire because the process is executing the other stuff.
For any kind of interrupt to work one needs at least a second execution
context. Even then cancelling an operation might not be possible if it wasn't
designed for that or is blocking in a call to some external code, e.g. a file
read.

Things can usually be done more asynchronously than they are done now, but it
is way more complicated which is why initial implementations of things are
almost always synchronous.

The case of something blocking due to networking is definitely fixable and
should have been asynchronous from the start. I recommend letting the
respective developer know about this limitation.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring

  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is a string literal in the i18n function. ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Yet another failed KDE release?
    ... ESPECIALLY after promising support "as long as there are users!" ... triggered a drop of a lot of my former kde software choices with the bump ... kmail, but somewhere about the time it lost my 10th mail or so and I was ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is not necessarily inexperience of the developer in matter of development, ... had on qt4 was already not negligible. ... kde are getting more full-time professional development and support than ... mostly optional modular libraries built around a central core. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... Even if one does do that the answer could be that there is no such API at the ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: A beginning programmer
    ... languages to start trying to help everyone here at KDE ... just automating things better or providing certain workflows in a more ... A patch is often only understandable in the context it applies to, ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)