Re: [kde-linux] 'Fetch Error' on exit

Duncan writes:

FWIW, I got fed up with akonadi, however, and unmerged all of kdepim in
ordered to be able to unmerge it. With it unmerged, I was able to set
USE=-semantic-desktop, etc, so I have all that turnakonadied off as
well. You'd be AMAZED at how much faster kde runs now! I know I was
-- it was like an MSWormOS user finding out how much either the malware
or the malware scanners had been slowing him down or like getting a
free half-gigahertz or another couple cores CPU upgrade! I
was /reasonably/ happy with kde4 before, but now I'm MUCH happier with
it! =:^)

I had thought about going that route, too. I like that semantic desktop
stuff very very much, but I nearly don't use it at all at the moment, it
doesn't work or I don't know how to use it. I'll give this stuff yet
another try when I upgrade to 4.8.
After some sort of MAJOR hardware problem, I got a new PC, and KDE is
fast enough now that I don't complain any more. It's an AMD FX-4100
quad-core processor, while before I had some dual-core AMD 4850e or
something like that. And with 16 G of RAM instead of only 8, the system
is no longer swapping. Finally!

And I can also say that I've been very happy with claws-mail as a
replacement, altho the conversion wasn't particularly easy.

I'm also using Claws for half a year or so. Some minor annoyances, like
it doesn't react while scanning folders for new mails, or with spell
checking. But can live with that. KMail is still active, but I don't use
it normally.

And when I try, like just now...

1) In the account settings, I see four entries named "IMAP E-Mail
Server". I have to g into the settings dialog in order to find out _what_
IMAP server this is. I'm quite sure this used to be different, and the
account name had been displayed.

2) Moving to the next unread message no longer works. I can press '+' or
use the menu, but nothing happens.

3) When I reply to an encrypted mail, the German umlauts are all wrong.

This is so annoying, five minutes of doing something with KMail2 again,
and I find three problems. I'm not even very surprised.

And while I am at it, some other KDE problems I wrote down in my log
recently:

2012-01-29:
The desktop widgets were locked, even though they should not be
according to the menu. I had to explicitely lock them and unlock again in
order to move them around.

20120-02-01:
Again, all desktops suddenly showed the widgets of one specific desktop.
Cured by a relogin, this time I did not have to copy the
plasma-desktop-appletsrc file from a backup to restore the original state.

I have some strange problem with mplayer exiting when I press a key, so I
want to use mplayer2. When changing this in the 'Open with...' dialog, a
window with a progress bar appears, and the progress bar goes from 0 to
100 % over and over again, every time becoming slower, until I abort.
This started workin after another relogin into KDE.

Amarok does not play sound. No idea why. I tried changing the Phonon
backend from GStreamer to Xine, and get a dialog that for this change I
will have to knotify4. What? And Amarok, but this was expected. When I
restart Amarok, it crashes instantly. After I exchanged two entries in
the amarokrc (I think) file, things were working again.

20120-02-02:
The Digikam handbook is not available. I wanted to find out how to
convert filenames to lower case, I still don't know.

Konqueror takes nearly a minute to display the contents
of /usr/share/doc/digikam-2.5.0/html/. Okay, there are some 14,000 files
in there, but it should not open as empty folder that explicitly tells
in the status line there are '0 entries', so I first thought this folder
was empty.

Opening
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/digikam.pdf
in Konqueror gave me an empty document, so I used Okular. Now it#s also
working in Konqueror.

The KSnapshot save as dialog puts the cursor to the end after the 1st
character is being entered. But at last I can finally see the snapshot in
Gwenview, this was broken for a long time.

20120-02-03:
akonadi_imap_re was using 490min CPU time, this doesn't look right to me.

Why does KDE keep asking me whether I want to remove a sound device?

20120-02-04:
The KNotes don't remember their position. That is, they show up in the
location of other notes that are currently closed.

Kontact hung, and I lost a long usenet posting I wanted to send later with
KNode. Talking about KNode, like so often it shows read postings as new
again.

Dolphin was not able to delete a file, and tries to tell me in the status
line, but I only see "Unable to delete file: The file ....." and there is
no more space to tell me why this is.

Wonko

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: SOLVED after Horrortrip: amarok plays no more streams
    ... dolphin in KDE 4.5 gets crazy when in a directory containing html-files, ... wow: amarok played again: but KMail couldn't start anymore, ... menu, everything, except the shutdown. ... SO now, fingers crossed, I have a computer that can play music, send ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Re: SOLVED after Horrortrip: amarok plays no more streams
    ... dolphin in KDE 4.5 gets crazy when in a directory containing html-files, ... wow: amarok played again: but KMail couldn't start anymore, ... menu, everything, except the shutdown. ... SO now, fingers crossed, I have a computer that can play music, send ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Fetch Error on exit
    ... ordered to be able to unmerge it. ... You'd be AMAZED at how much faster kde runs now! ... etc) you want and let them pull in individual packages ... much anything kdepim will pull in akonadi. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] The MP4 that ate Amaroki
    ... Thanks for helping me feel glad I'm still using Amarok 1.4. ... at least include *SOME* helpful tidbits, instead of just railing on KDE. ... Alternately, you could try to remove any album art, etc, which may be either ... Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] The MP4 that ate Amarok
    ... Thanks for helping me feel glad I'm still using Amarok 1.4. ... at least include *SOME* helpful tidbits, instead of just railing on KDE. ... Alternately, you could try to remove any album art, etc, which may be either ... more likely to get a helpful response, ...
    (KDE)