Re: [kde] Dolphin search anomalies KDE 4.6.0

John Woodhouse posted on Fri, 06 Apr 2012 04:53:20 -0700 as excerpted:

Anyway I decided to look at a couple of old discs to see if there was
anything I needed on them. Just browsing through files seems to be ok. I
can launch them. Bit tedious going through that again so I decided to
use dolphin search. First problem is that the search wouldn't accept
multiple terms eg *.pdf;*.djvu so they have to be entered separately.
The second problem was that having found them I couldn't do anything
with them. Try to launch and nothing happens at all. Try to copy paste,
move to or drag drop and a file doesn't exist msg comes up.

As you mentioned may be the case, dolphin has had a lot of work done to
it in recent releases. Both 4.7 and 4.8 had dolphin changes and I know
search was among them. I don't use dolphin enough personally to track
the changes closely, but do recall being distinctly surprised when I
opened it at one point, probably when I was running one of the 4.8 pre-
releases, as it just seemed far more usable than I remembered it being.

Also note that it's possible to set konqueror as your file manager of
choice, if you prefer. That's in kde settings, workspace..., default
applications.

Another odd aspect is that I can only find all of them as root. I assume
this is because the disk contains one of my old home directories.
Searching as none root does bring some up though.

It's likely that the UID numbers on the old disk are different, even if
the usernames were the same. Same thing possible with groups. It should
be possible, as root, to do a recursive chown from somewhere in the
mounted filesystem tree of the old disk, as appropriate. I remember
having to do that when switching from Mandrake to Gentoo, since the user
and group ID numbers weren't the same between them.

  • RE: DVD multi drive malfunctioning.
    ... Do you use dial up to access a network, ... > at the disk drive they all report there is no disk or that it can not be ... Through drive properties made sure autoplay was set to launch my DVD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: RE-boot issues-XP Home
    ... Why select drive D: as a boot source? ... - If you have a Bart PE boot CD, were you able to boot from it before? ... The disks won't launch when inserted into the disk tray. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: DVD multi drive malfunctioning.
    ... Dila up is only used for internet connection. ... Run Dr. Watson if you can and let ... >> at the disk drive they all report there is no disk or that it can not be ... Through drive properties made sure autoplay was set to launch my DVD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Incredibly slow to boot - any ideas?
    ... All of a sudden my machine has become incredibly slow to boot up and to launch anything - boot up took over 5 minutes and launching an app like Mozilla or OpenOffice can take just as long. ... You say your disk hangs but all the attributes indicate a healthy disk. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [kde] Re: How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop?
    ... they are in and click launch them. ... dolphin, dolphin su mode and yast. ... Without the panel and app starter, ... launcher items on the panel, or from the app starter. ...
    (KDE)