Re: ERR in /proc/interrupts

From: Andreas Schwarz (usenet.2117_at_andreas-s.net)
Date: 09/30/03

    To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Date:	Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:54:07 +0000 (UTC)

    Andreas Schwarz wrote:
    > Christian wrote:
    >> Andreas Schwarz wrote:
    >>> I get a very high ERR count in /proc/interrupts. If I move my USB mouse
    >>> the number increases.
    >>>
    >>> What does ERR mean? Nothing good, I suppose?
    >>>

    >> ../Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt says:
    >>
    >> ERR is incremented in the case of errors in the IO-APIC bus (the bus
    >> that connects the CPUs in a SMP system. This means that an error has
    >> been detected, the IO-APIC automatically retry the transmission, so it
    >> should not be a big problem, but you should read the SMP-FAQ.
    >
    > I don't have a SMP kernel. I compiled the kernel with IO APIC support,
    > but disabled it later with the noapic kernel boot option.

    I recompiled the kernel with both APIC options disabled. Result: ERR is
    0, and my USB mouse is no longer choppy.

    APIC = evil (at least on my K7S5A Pro)!

    --
    AVR-Tutorial, über 350 Links
    Forum für AVRGCC und MSPGCC

    • Re: PREEMPT_RT and I-PIPE: the numbers, take 3
      ... >>If you were suggesting this to be run on an SMP system, ... I'm suggesting that you and other folks understand the basic ideas ... be different if the kernel were compiled in an unrealistic way. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: ERR in /proc/interrupts
      ... >> What does ERR mean? ... > that connects the CPUs in a SMP system. ... I don't have a SMP kernel. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: i386 single-step vs int $0x80 issues
      ... the current kernel with that commit's patch reverted. ... failure behavior was observed on an SMP system. ... Ideally the handling on 32/64 can be closer to the same logic. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Illegal use of reserved word in system.h
      ... > with a autoconf.h of a uniprocessor kernel, it can even be SMP) will ... > have subtle races when run on a SMP system because the atomic ... There had been need of rain for many days. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Boot order with firewire 4.8-RELEASE
      ... I've just installed 4.8-RELEASE on an SMP system, ... The kernel make worked, and booted -- with the minor ... I'm doing a ``make world'' on the new install now while back on ... when I booted the new kernel with an external firewire ...
      (freebsd-questions)