Re: Bug in the sg driver

From: Randy.Dunlap (rddunlap_at_osdl.org)
Date: 10/06/03

    Date:	Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:20:28 -0700
    To: Dag Nygren <dag@newtech.fi>

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:06:36 +0300 Dag Nygren <dag@newtech.fi> wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | just got back from a customer with major problems
    | with a LTO-drive and an Adaptec 19160.
    |
    | The problems was ones that HP claimed a firmware
    | upgrade would fix and even gave a tool for doing this:
    | hp_ltt.
    |
    | Running this the first time would always segfault and trying
    | a second time would consistently panic the system.
    |
    | We traced the segfault to sg_ioctl trying to do something.
    | After finding a vague hint with google I tried to boot with
    | mem=512M (The machine has 2GB of memory) and voila:
    | The update worked without any crashes.
    | We don't know yet if the firmware update fixed the original problem,
    | but the conclusion is:
    |
    | sg_ioctl seems to address illegal parts of memory when used with
    | kernels where highmem is enabled.
    |
    | Any sg-driver maintainers out there?

    from MAINTAINERS file:
    SCSI SG DRIVER
    P: Doug Gilbert
    M: dgilbert@interlog.com
    L: linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org
    W: http://www.torque.net/sg
    S: Maintained

    Any details, like kernel version, oops or panic logs, etc.?

    --
    ~Randy
    -

    • Re: silent semantic changes with reiser4
      ... Or between Linux systems with different kernels that happen to implement ... just to be thrown out later because nobody used it. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • [update] OOM issue with linux-2.6.14-rt6
      ... Both my embedded target boards have CF cards which are mounted ... with mkfs.minix I simply used that to create a minix filesystem on ... I'll let these kernels run over the weekend to see how they perform. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics for 2.6 (was: Re: [RFC] Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics)
      ... > it more clear that there is no attempt to return the BIOS geometry. ... 2.6 kernels made very visible that the widely used Parted, libparted, ... It's the restoration of the user space compatibility _and_ ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Very high load on P4 machines with 2.4.28
      ... The machines have normal load averages hovering not higher than ... > is climbing very fast and hovers around a value 3-4 times higher than with ... > the older kernels. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: mutt segfault with ext3 & 1k blocks & htree in 2.6
      ... Normally an application segfault is really caused by a kernel OOPS, ... Andreas Dilger ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)