Re: nforce2 random lockups - still no solution ?

From: Samuel Kvasnica (
Date: 10/23/03

    Date:	Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:17:47 +0200

    Dear Gabor,

    thantks a lot, indeed you are right ! I've been confused by some nforce
    FAQs where 'nolapic' option was recommended. In fact I did never check
    whether this option
    really exists. Now, after recompiling the kernel the framegrabber works
    with uncompressed stream for almost 24h and it is rock-solid.

    So, a workaround recommendation for all using ivtv driver on nforce2
    chipsets and kernels up to 2.4.22:

    otherwise you'll experience very rare random lockups while watching the
    compressed stream and lockups within 10 minutes when watching the
    yuv stream.

    What I'd like to know is whether this bug is AMD processor or chipset
    related. Is there a patch available ? I tried 2.6.0-test8 and it wasn't
    stable. I'd prefer to use APIC instead of XT-PIC because some drivers
    e.g. kernel DRM don't support shared interrupts and I can't get own
    interrupt for the video card.

    Vitez Gabor wrote:

    >On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:22:04PM +0200, Samuel Kvasnica wrote:
    >>I'm booting the kernel with acpi=off, noapic and nolapic options and
    >nolapic? That's not a valid kernel command line parameter I'm afraid.
    >fgrep -ri nolapic $KERNEL_SOURCE_DIR
    >gives nothing. ???
    > Gabor

    the body of a message to