Problem with USB storage

From: Jim Stark (loontaubag_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/03/03

    Date:	Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:23:07 -0800 (PST)
    To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

    Hi:

    I am currently using Slackware 9.1 with a custom built
    kernel (2.4.22). The problem I am having is that
    sometimes (not always), I can mount my USB memory
    stick. It happens very infrequently. When I insert,
    the hotplug support detects it and loads usb-storage
    and starts two processes (usb-storage-0 and
    scsi_eh_1). Most (99%) of the time, the mount program
    freezes when attempting to mount the device, and can
    only be stopped by waiting and sending kill -9.
    Thereafter, the device (/dev/sda1) states that it is
    not a valid black device AND the USB port I tried to
    use becomes unusable until a restart. Further, the
    two processes I described earlier are impossible to
    kill.

    Any ideas? I am currently in the process of upgrading
    to the newest kernel (2.4.23). An additional note is
    that the ehci-hcd (usb2) module is loaded and I am
    trying to use it for the higher transfer rates.

    Thanks

    Mike