Problem with USB storage

From: Jim Stark (loontaubag_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/03/03

    Date:	Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:23:07 -0800 (PST)
    To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

    Hi:

    I am currently using Slackware 9.1 with a custom built
    kernel (2.4.22). The problem I am having is that
    sometimes (not always), I can mount my USB memory
    stick. It happens very infrequently. When I insert,
    the hotplug support detects it and loads usb-storage
    and starts two processes (usb-storage-0 and
    scsi_eh_1). Most (99%) of the time, the mount program
    freezes when attempting to mount the device, and can
    only be stopped by waiting and sending kill -9.
    Thereafter, the device (/dev/sda1) states that it is
    not a valid black device AND the USB port I tried to
    use becomes unusable until a restart. Further, the
    two processes I described earlier are impossible to
    kill.

    Any ideas? I am currently in the process of upgrading
    to the newest kernel (2.4.23). An additional note is
    that the ehci-hcd (usb2) module is loaded and I am
    trying to use it for the higher transfer rates.

    Thanks

    Mike

    • RE: [SLE] Kernel 2.6.5-7 and USB flash disk, and support for Conexant CX88 chipset
      ... mount USB devices, even as root, the Intel nic support on my Gateway 200ARC ... USB removable storage, broken nic support, and oddness with my CDRW (it ... on SuSE 9.0 with the latest YaST updated kernel or the kernel of the ...
      (SuSE)
    • problems with Mandrake 10.0 + kernel 2.6.8-rc2
      ... Proverb) and I'm now in a state where I can't mount CDroms. ... kernel mailing list. ... | Bill Purvis, thrice-retired software engineer | ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • external USB DVD writer and KDE
      ... On a Debian Etch running 2.6.16-2, if I connect an external DVD USB ... kernel: scsi10: SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices ... I have to mount it manually using a mount point. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: 2.7 (future kernel) wish
      ... >>What does that other OS do when you pull a USB stick out? ... >>think the kernel should do? ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • PROBLEM: USB ext3 issues in 2.6
      ... USB 2.0 hard drive formatted as ext3. ... then I'd start getting errors about it being a read-only file system. ... kernel and also reformatted the USB disk as an ext2 partition. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)