Re: Multiple keyboard/monitor vs linux-2.6?

From: William Park (opengeometry_at_yahoo.ca)
Date: 12/12/03

    Date:	Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:43:10 -0500
    To: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor@freemail.hu>

    On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:13:28AM +0000, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a way to assign different keyboards to different vcs?
    > I would like to set up a machine that has 2 keyboards, 2 mice and
    > 2 videocards and run XFree-4.x on both heads. The videocard/monitor and
    > mouse settings are easy to set up but I cannot find a device setting
    > for the keyboard in man XF86Config. How can I do it with mainline kerne=
    > ls?
    >
    > After some googleing I found something called "backstreet ruby"
    > http://startx.times.lv/eng-faq.html
    > This gave me this info (howto in a nutshell):
    >
    > 1. Boot with kernel option "dumbcon=N" to activate N dummy console.
    > 2. cat /proc/bus/input/devices gives the input devices, search for keyb=
    > oard
    > entries.
    > 3. To assign a keyboard to a VT, feed the keyboard Phys= entry into
    > a VT, e.g. echo "isa0060/serio0/input0" > /proc/bus/console/00/keyb=
    > oard
    > 4. Start the X server on the proper VT.
    >
    > The functionality can be found at linuxconsole.sourceforge.net.
    > Will this be included into mainline near term? Say 2.6.[12]?
    > The ruby-2.6 is against 2.6.0-test9 so it's almost uptodate.

    Does it work?

    I have 2 keyboard/mouse/video setup as well, but I followed
        http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/
    by Miguel Freitas with 2.4.23 kernel, because you have to unload
    'keybdev' USB module. Kernel-2.6.0 doesn't seem to give me that choice.
    In my XF86Config, I had to use
        Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "USB Keyboard"
            Driver "keyboard"
            Option "Protocol" "usbev"
            Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
            Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
            Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
            Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        EndSection
    for the USB keyboard. Note the /dev/input/event2 and "Xkb*" lines --
    they were necessary.

    Both are mentioned in XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO. Even though the
    HOWTO is more for Backstreet Ruby, I couldn't make head or tail of it.

    --
    William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
    -