Re: Kernel panic.. in 3.0 Enterprise Linux

From: Andreas Unterkircher (unki_at_netshadow.at)
Date: 01/05/04

    To: neel vanan <neelvanan@yahoo.com>
    Date:	Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:21:15 +0100

    have you rebuild your initrd? you have written you
    have compile in all needed things - so do you still
    need the initrd? if not - try to remove the line...

    andreas

    Am Mon, den 05.01.2004 schrieb neel vanan um 12:56:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > The kernel I have working is version 2.4.21-4.EL and I
    > can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6.0 version
    > and installed it in exactly the same way that the old
    > version is, just appending 2.6.0 to the end of the
    > file. so when I reboot I get a boot screen that shows:
    >
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux As-up (2.4.21-4.EL)
    > Red Hat linux (2.6.0)
    >
    > Enterprise linux still boots up fine but when I try
    > and boot up Red Hat linux (2.6.0) I get some ouput and
    > then a kernel panic with this message:
    >
    > <snip>
    > Software Suspend has malfunctioning SMP support.
    > Disabled :(
    > ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
    > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    > RAMDISK: incomplete write (-1 !=32768) 4194304
    > VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block
    > (0,0)
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    > unknown-block(0,0)
    >
    > I am running Linux Enterprise Edition version 3.0 on
    > my server. It has 2 Xeon processors and 1 U360 scsi
    > HD. The whole reason behind my compiling a kernel is
    > trying to get support for high memory (this
    > machine has 4 gigs of ram) and multi-processor
    > support.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I selected all scsi and driver support
    > because when i run the same kernel with RedHat Linux
    > 9.0 in same machine it works fine. Everything is
    > compiled in and not as modules.
    >
    > This is snip of my grub.conf file:
    > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > #
    > default=0
    > timeout=10
    > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm
    > title RedHat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL ro root=LABEL=/
    > initrd /initrd-2.4.21-4.EL.img
    > title RedHat Linux (2.6.0)
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /linux-2.6.0 ro root=LABEL=/
    > initrd /initrd-2.6.0.img
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    > advance,
    >
    > Neel

    -

    • Re: Video editing in Linux?
      ... >30ukp, and even then a typical winmodem was 25ukp, so the difference ... of course Linux may deal with this alot ... Most notably the IDE drivers way exceed that of VIA's. ... So i would need to compile them? ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: flowtable usable or not
      ... How long did they raped Linux to get it that way looking? ... well, right or wrong, that is then issue for whom likes to compile, we ... the user domain of FreeBSD is shrinking. ... almost composed of developers or insiders or programmers or lovers, ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: Paying developers to get features faster
      ... existing Open Source, ... This is true even with the Linux Kernel compile. ... >compile is atleast a lot better than a screen full of warning messages. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Paying developers to get features faster
      ... existing Open Source, ... This is true even with the Linux Kernel compile. ... >compile is atleast a lot better than a screen full of warning messages. ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.system)
    • Re: Paying developers to get features faster
      ... existing Open Source, ... This is true even with the Linux Kernel compile. ... >compile is atleast a lot better than a screen full of warning messages. ...
      (comp.security.misc)