Re: CONFIG_SLAB_DEBUG and NUMA API

From: R. J. Wysocki (rjwysocki_at_sisk.pl)
Date: 07/07/04

    To: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>, Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
    Date:	Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:10:59 +0200

    On Tuesday 06 of July 2004 23:03, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:49:45PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote:
    > > > I tested 2.6.7-mm6 with NUMA on with CONFIG_SLAB_DEBUG and I didn't see
    > > > any oopses. Do you have a recipe to reproduce them?
    > >
    > > Still happens here. Booting SLES9.1 with the attached config.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Here's a patch. The problem was that the kernel exit would allocate
    > memory to send exit signals after the local mempolicy was already freed,
    > but not zeroed. When the allocator tried to grab more memory it would
    > fall over.
    >
    > -Andi

    > Move the memory policy freeing to later in exit to make sure
    > the last memory allocations don't use an uninitialized policy

    It fixed the problems that I had reported on both 2.6.7-mm6 and 2.6.7-bk18.
    Thanks a lot,

    rjw

    --
    Rafael J. Wysocki

    • Re: xmalloc string functions
      ... of mallocwhen you are trying to allocate a structure ... caller that fact like I do when mallocfails to delever me the ... amount of memory I ask it for. ... exit() does NOT write buffers not already given into the stream, ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: [ANNOUNCE] Minneapolis Cluster Summit, July 29-30
      ... > have them allocate 1MB in to free some memory. ... allocating lots of memory from the lower reservations. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [patch] oom-killer sysrq-f fix
      ... > we just let oom-killer send SIGKILL in interrupt context and return. ... allocate any memory. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [RFC] SPI core -- revisited
      ... userspace to spi-dev, spi-dev should allocate memory and copy the user ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: memory allocation questions (newbie)
      ... > memory leaks. ... If you allocate some memory (because the required ... You are dealing with the same memory block. ... free the memory and exit the program. ...
      (comp.lang.c)