Re: [autofs] automount does not close file descriptors at start

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 02/21/05

    To: Ian Kent <raven@themaw.net>
    Date:	Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:27:30 -0500

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:57:22 +0800, Ian Kent said:

    > This is the first time I've heard this and the first time I wrote a Unix
    > daemon was fifteen years ago.
    >
    > As far as I'm concerned redirecting stdin, stdout and stderr to the null
    > device, then closing it and setting the process to a be the group leader
    > (as autofs does) should be all that's needed to daemonize a process.
    >
    > So are we saying that we don't trust the kernel to reliably duplicate the
    > state of file handles when we fork?

    No, you have it 180 degrees off. ;)

    We *do* trust the kernel to reliably duplicate the state of file handles.
    So if we're about to do the whole double-fork thing and all that, we want to
    loop around and close all the file descriptors we don't want leaking to
    the double-forked daemon. Yes, we do something reasonable with fd 0,1,2 -
    but we probably also want to do something with that unclosed fd 3 that's still
    open on /etc/mydaemon.cf, and any other file descriptors we've left dangling
    in the breeze after initialization.

    And yes, this sort of error happens in Real Live - I need to go and figure out
    why the /sbin/lvm.static on my initrd is throwing 'File descriptor 3 left open'
    messages...

    -