Re: [08/08] uml: va_copy fix

From: Jörn Engel (joern_at_wohnheim.fh-wedel.de)
Date: 04/06/05

    Date:	Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:27:51 +0200
    To: Renate Meijer <kleuske@xs4all.nl>

    On Wed, 6 April 2005 14:04:39 +0200, Renate Meijer wrote:

    > >And you did read this thread as well, right?
    > >http://kerneltrap.org/node/4126
    >
    > <quote>
    > Things seem to have improved a bit lately. The gcc-3.x series was
    > basically not worth it for plain C until 3.3 or so.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Yes. You did read the actual data as produced by that guy from Suse,
    > did you? In the past,
    > people may have justly stuck to (e.g.) 2.95.3, however, support for
    > that version now starts to
    > require dependencies on compiler internals. This is one argument in
    > favor of dropping support
    > for that version, or at least not to spread compiler dependent stuff
    > all over the code.

    Fyi, another fact that was missing from the quoted thread: gcc 2.95
    catches bugs that 3.x compilers simply miss. Support for the old
    compiler is more work, no doubt, and at times requires to work around
    plain compiler bugs as well. But there is some return on investment.

    Is it worth the effort? Not sure. But the "it's old, drop support
    for it" argument just doesn't cut it and it doesn't get any better by
    repetition.

    Jörn

    --
    Schrödinger's cat is <BLINK>not</BLINK> dead.
    -- Illiad

    • Re: 2.6.15-rc5-mm3 (new build failure)
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Parallelizing C/C++ code
      ... It's worth the effort if you can achieve a speed up without a penalty ... It gets tricky when there is dynamic optimization ... The best evidence for whether a compiler feature is worth implementing ... vendors implement novel forms of parallelism beyond loop splits or SSE ...
      (comp.compilers)
    • Re: Add prefetch switch stack hook in scheduler function
      ... > although it might be that the compiler generates better code from the ... yeah, will do that. ... First wanted to see whether it's worth it. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Delphi 8 ... is it a worthy investment?
      ... grin, that would, as an upgrade, actually be worth $400 to me. ... it came bundled with an updated Win32 compiler, ... providing a discount to D7 owners upgrading to D8 (Pro SKU)). ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: More fuel for the 64-bit fire ...
      ... Most server stuff isn't going to need a fancy IDE ... Even if they had a 64-bit IDE and compiler, VCL, ... Is it worth delaying D2006 by a year while ... If Borland wants to look at native 64bit output for ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)