Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover (ninja_at_slaphack.com)
Date: 07/01/05

    Date:	Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:08:58 -0500
    To: David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>

    David Weinehall wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:58:20PM +0300, Markus Törnqvist wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:50:27AM -0400, Douglas McNaught wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'll just note that the "applications bundled as directories" stuff on
    >>>MacOS/NextStep is done completely in userspace--as far as the kernel
    >>>is concerned, "Mail.app" is a regular directory. The file manager
    >>>handles recognition and invocation of application bundles (and there
    >>>is an 'open' shell command that does the same thing).
    >>
    >>Note that MacOS has the monopoly on what they ship, Linux has a
    >>motherload of file managers and window systems and all.
    >>
    >>What pisses me off is the fact that Gnome and friends implement
    >>their own incompatible-with-others VFS's and automounters and
    >>stuff.
    >>
    >>Surely supporting this in the kernel and extending the LSB
    >>to require this is the best step to take without infringing
    >>anyone's freedom as such.
    >>
    >>*still pissed off about having to hassle an automatic mount*
    >

    > GNOME and KDE run on operating systems that run other kernels than
    > Linux, hence they have to implement their own userland VFS anyway.
    > Adding this to the Linux kernel won't help them one bit, unless
    > we can magically convince Sun to add it to Solaris, all different
    > BSD:s to add it to their kernels, etc. Not going to happen.
    > An effort to get GNOME and KDE to unify their VFS:s would be
    > far more benificial,

    Than what? Creating a unified VFS which I can access from Bash, and
    which obsoletes both GNOME and KDE's VFSes except in their presentation?

    > FreeDesktop is doing a lot of work to make GNOME, KDE, and other
    > DE:s interoperate as much as possible. Support their initiative
    > instead of trying to get a monstrosity (albeit a very cool one,
    > conceptually) into the kernel. Sure, it could be made to work,
    > but not without dropping our Unixness.

    (I'm talking about the metafs (/meta) idea, which isn't nearly as much a
    monstrocity, and doesn't kill our unixness, it enhances it.)
    -

    • Re: reiser4 plugins
      ... > motherload of file managers and window systems and all. ... GNOME and KDE run on operating systems that run other kernels than ... Linux, hence they have to implement their own userland VFS anyway. ... Adding this to the Linux kernel won't help them one bit, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users
      ... nowadays I'm pretty confused about future of Linux. ... GNU fits well on the top of kernel. ... The bad thing is attitude of Gnome (developers, promoters, project ... I was shocked when I read the response of one of the Gnome developers ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users
      ... nowadays I'm pretty confused about future of Linux. ... GNU fits well on the top of kernel. ... The bad thing is attitude of Gnome (developers, promoters, project ... I was shocked when I read the response of one of the Gnome developers ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: reiser4 plugins
      ... > motherload of file managers and window systems and all. ... Linux!), KDE's way, XFCE's way, ... ... Plus the kernel way. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Mac OSX sucks big time
      ... Uh-huh. ... Linux is a kernel, not an OS. ... GNOME didn't bother giving me an error message to explain why ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)