Occasional IDE lost interrupts

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh_at_kernel.crashing.org)
Date: 08/11/05

    To: Linux Kernel list <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, list linux-ide <linux-ide@vger.kernel.org>, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl>
    Date:	Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:49:30 +0200

    Hi Bart !

    That seem to be a new problem though I can't tell for sure when it
    started. I've had reports from users for some time now of
    "occasional" (once in a while, maybe once a day) lost interrupts on the
    mac hard disk. I have about 30 days uptime and just saw a similar one in
    my log. It happen during a disk access storm (apt-get upgrade :).

    The problem when this happen is that I just lost DMA which is fairly
    annoying. Users are not supposed to understand the magic of hdparm
    -d1 /dev/hda and that shouldn't happen anyways...

    Do you have any clue of what can be going on ? The IDE pmac driver has
    not changed for a long time and I think that problem is fairly new
    (maybe 2.6.12 ? not sure, first time I actually see it unless it's
    unrelated and my disk is actually dying).

    Shouldn't we have some more retry before giving up on DMA ?

    Regards,
    Ben.

    [432796.162593] ide-pmac lost interrupt, dma status: 8480
    [432796.162606] hda: lost interrupt
    [432796.162613] hda: dma_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    [432796.162619]
    [432796.162622] ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    [432796.162632] hda: DMA disabled
    [432796.262581] ide0: reset: success

    -

    • Re: PS/2 Mouse problems with kernel 2.6.2_rc2
      ... Are you using DMA with your disk? ... "hdparm -d1 /dev/xxx" solves the problem. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: KERNEL 2.6.3 and MAXTOR 160 GB
      ... this is the correct message from boot: ... Your IDE controller doesn't support DMA transfer modes when LBA48 is used. ... This means that access to the> 137GB part of the disk can only be done ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • [question]- DMA
      ... the kernel uses DMA to copy from disk to disk? ... Quer mais velocidade? ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: readcd hangs in blk_execute_rq
      ... Reading data disks with DMA ... of disk. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Disk performance deteriated to unbearable levels
      ... Could DMA be disabled now? ... But I think DMA is enabled on the disk. ... Advanced power management level: 128 ... Security Mode feature set ...
      (Debian-User)