Re: freebox possible GPL violation

From: Stefan Smietanowski (
Date: 10/06/05

    Date:	Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:15:20 +0200
    To: Emmanuel Fleury <>

    Emmanuel Fleury wrote:
    > Helge Hafting wrote:
    >>Interesting argument, but it breaks for at least two reasons: 1. You
    >>can buy that box instead of just hiring it. That moves kernels
    >>"outside the company", for money even.
    > I might have misunderstood but I think that if you buy the hardware you
    > cannot connect it to the DSLAM network anymore. So that only the boxes
    > they own are connected to the DSLAM.

    Get the box, turn it on, don't turn it off, pay the 400 EUR, own the box

    Result: You have a box that is _NOW_ running Linux and YOU own it.

    If them placing the box at your place isn't considered distribution
    (re: your mobile phone thing) then you BUYING it would need to,
    due to transfer of ownership.

    The fact that the box can't do what it's supposed to after you buy it
    is irrelevant.

    // Stefan
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----