Re: Forcing an immediate reboot

From: Randy.Dunlap (rdunlap_at_xenotime.net)
Date: 10/15/05

    Date:	Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:55:41 -0700
    To: Marc Perkel <marc@perkel.com>

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:46:46 -0700 Marc Perkel wrote:

    > Is there any way to force an immediate reboot as if to push the reset
    > button in software? Got a remote server that i need to reboot and
    > shutdown isn't working.

    What kernel version?
    Does it have sysrq enabled?

    If 2.6.x and Yes, then you should be able to do:
      echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

    to cause a reboot.

    ---
    ~Randy
    -

    • Re: 2.6.10: kswapd spins like crazy
      ... >>The kernel is compiling right now, ... >>reboot this machine until six or seven o'clock ... So we can see it is trying to scan the DMA zone. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: ext3 corruption
      ... I'm getting those messages from the NFS stuff at shutdown time, ... I get all sorts of messages from the kernel about trying to stop MD devices and not being able to _after_ reboot is called, even though at that point it should just forcibly kill all userspace, unmount all filesystems, and deconstruct the MD/DM device tree. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • RE: 2.6.4-mm1
      ... shutdown. ... found some lines about open and tty related functions and that kernel ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: 2.6.0-test4-mm6
      ... And after trying to use ppp the machine oops at ... (oops on shutdown) ... kernel: Call Trace: ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Kernel 2.6.2 reboot hangs on AMD Athlon System
      ... my box refuses to reboot. ... I tried different Kernel ... > ne Frau, bau Dir ein Haus, mach ein Kind und laß' die Finger von dem ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)