Re: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
- From: "Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 01:10:55 +0100
On 18/12/06, Hannu Savolainen <hannu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Marek Wawrzyczny wrote:
> Dear Linux Kernel ML,
> I am writing as a Linux-only user of over 2 years to express my concern with
> the recent proposal to block out closed source modules from the kernel.
> While, I understand and share your sentiments over open source software and
> drivers. I fear however, that trying to steamroll the industry into
> developing open source drivers by banning closed source drivers is going to
> have a completely different result. They will simply abandon Linux support
> for some of their products altogether.
As a developer of some "closed source" drivers I can confirm that this
is exactly the case. I would never consider open sourcing my work just
because somebody is pointing pistol to my neck. I would leave the whole
IT business and start doing something else rather than accept this kind
of mafia-like negotiation methods.
Why is this dead horse still kicking?
Linus already spoke on this issue (
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/14/218 ) and Greg KH already withdrew his
patch ( http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/14/63 ), so could we please just
let this dead horse rest in peace?
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
Plain text mails only, please http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
- Binary Drivers
- From: James Porter
- Re: Binary Drivers
- From: Marek Wawrzyczny
- Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
- From: Hannu Savolainen
- Binary Drivers
- Prev by Date: Re: [patch 2/2] agpgart - Remove unnecessary flushes.
- Next by Date: Re: [solved] Yenta Cardbus allocation failure
- Previous by thread: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
- Next by thread: Re: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)