Re: .version keeps being updated
- From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:31:05 +0100 (MET)
On Jan 9 2007 15:21, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Actually, how about just removing the incrementing version count entirely?
I realize that it's really really old, and has been there basically since
day one, but on the other hand, it's old not because it's fundamentally
important, but because it's just been maintained. How about just dropping
We have more useful _real_ versioning these days, with git commit ID's
Like other people said, scripts rely on it. Not just kernel-build
scripts or thelike. Note that this local build ID is _also_ in
/proc/version, meaning that every possible script out there has
code/regex to skip or read that one field.
($ver, $builder, $gcc, $id, $flags, $date) =
($_ =~ /^Linux version (\S+) \((\S+)\) \((.*)\) (#\d+) (.*) ((?:Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun).*)/);
Oh well we could also put a static "#0" in there, but it also has
its uses (see replies from other people).
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
- Prev by Date: Re: [take32 0/10] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.
- Next by Date: [PATCH] kbuild: Don't ignore localversion files if the path includes a ~
- Previous by thread: Re: .version keeps being updated
- Next by thread: Re: .version keeps being updated