Re: Status of CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING?

A function only belongs into a header file if we always want it inlined,
otherwise it belongs into a C file.

Again, why? Why don't we trust the compiler to decide if a function
should be inlined or not, even if the definition happens to be in a .h
file?

It seems like a perfectly valid optimization for the compiler to only
emit code once for a function and then call it where it is used, even
if that function happens to be defined in a .h file.

- R.
-

  • Re: OT/If I Have XP SP2...Is there any "real" need to install SP3?
    ... Oh...you probably don't trust them. ... of money on advertising, and then think about how much influence they ... Microsoft C++ compiler was outperformed by other compilers on the tests. ... Never mind that its integrated editor-compiler-debugger was great. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Encrypting/Decrypting Password from a Config File
    ... >> That assumes you trust the compiler. ... even if each of the individual components behave exactly ... And there's still the issue of trusting your own senses. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Encrypting/Decrypting Password from a Config File
    ... US code breakers broke a one time pad because they found it ... That assumes you trust the compiler. ... So your best bet is to build a read-only USB key from scratch, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: OT/If I Have XP SP2...Is there any "real" need to install SP3?
    ... Oh...you probably don't trust them. ... Microsoft and their PR flaks at Waggoner-Edstrom went nuts, tried to discredit me, tried to discredit the tests used, and so on and so on, when their precious Microsoft C++ compiler was outperformed by other compilers on the tests. ... Never mind that its integrated editor-compiler-debugger was great. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)