Re: Kernel 2.6.23.9 + mdadm 2.6.2-2 + Auto rebuild RAID1?

On 1 Dec 2007, Jan Engelhardt uttered the following:

On Dec 1 2007 06:19, Justin Piszcz wrote:

RAID1, 0.90.03 superblocks (in order to be compatible with LILO, if
you use 1.x superblocks with LILO you can't boot)

Says who? (Don't use LILO ;-)

Well, your kernels must be on a 0.90-superblocked RAID-0 or RAID-1
device. It can't handle booting off 1.x superblocks nor RAID-[56]
(not that I could really hope for the latter).

But that's just /boot, not everything else.

Not using ANY initramfs/initrd images, everything is compiled into 1
kernel image (makes things MUCH simpler and the expected device layout
etc is always the same, unlike initrd/etc).

My expected device layout is also always the same, _with_ initrd. Why?
Simply because mdadm.conf is copied to the initrd, and mdadm will
use your defined order.

Of course the same is true of initramfs, which can give you the 1 kernel
image back, too. (It's also nicer in that you can autoassemble
e.g. LVM-on-RAID, or even LVM-on-RAID-over-nbd if you so desire.)

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
describes USENET

  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer ... for lilo myself. ... and DSF (Device Support Facilities). ... was that a new kernel was installed without lilo being run. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it
    ... At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit ... You see, the kernel image on disk, ... The compression ratio for an amd64-architecture kernel is significantly ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Choosing default OS in multi boot system
    ... I do not hate grub, since when you do not have complex needs it ... But when you need to take control on your boot loader, Lilo is ... install a new kernel, you have to tell LILO where to find the new file. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: boot/repair floppy or CD
    ... The information you put in lilo.conf is used by lilo when you run lilo. ... the other runs without any kernel, ... kernel proper is booted, the root file system mounted, and "init" reads /etc/inittab, and finds instructions to run the script /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)