Re: [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v4
- From: "stephane eranian" <eranian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:34:07 +0100
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Paul Mackerras <paulus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Who would want not to be the only owner of the PMU?
I think we need a "full-time" attribute for counters and groups that
says "I need to be on the whole time", where "whole time" means
whenever the task is running, for a per-task counter or group, or
continuously for per-cpu counters/groups.
Especially when you know that if you don't, you may be sharing it
with another user who may perturb your measurement, for instance
because of heavy sampling while you are just counting. It is a tradeoff
between flexibility and accuracy. Which one is more important?
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
- Prev by Date: Re: next-20081216 - powerpc link error 'dynreloc miscount'
- Next by Date: Re: [PATCH 5/15] sanitize audit_mq_getsetattr()
- Previous by thread: RE: [Perfctr-devel] [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v4
- Next by thread: Re: [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v4