How do you correctly set .htaccess, htpasswd, and httpd.conf?

From: Joshua Peter (fsjcp2_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/23/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:50:41 -0700 (PDT)

    I'm trying to secure my directory that has phpmyadmin.
    I've placed a .htaccess file in there that has:

    # .htaccess contents
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/phpmyadmin.pwd
    AuthName My Realm
    Require valid-user

    htpasswd is in a seperate dir as indicated in my
    .htaccess:

    # htpasswd contents
    sxjcp:XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    root:XXXXXXXXXXXXX

    httpd.conf to set the directory security is:

    # httpd.conf directory
    <Directory "/etc/httpd/phpMyAdmin-2.5.1">
            AllowOverride AuthConfig
    </Directory>

    What am I missing here? This is my first time
    configuring Apache and the directory security, so
    please be specific in your responses. Thanks in
    advance. :)