RH 10

From: mark (whitroth_at_cfl.rr.com)
Date: 07/24/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:22:28 -0400

    Well, I just read about RH "opening up the development process" to
    outsiders, over on ZDNet. *Then* I read the "system requirements" for 10:
    200MHz for *non-graphical*, 400MHz for graphical...*minimum*.

    Does RedHat think they're the next M$?

    Now, up until a month or so ago, I was running 7.3 w/ KDE, w/ kernel & lib
    updates, etc. 7.3 came out, what, a year and a half ago?...and I'm running
    an AMD K-6 233 (ok, mine's "overclocked" to 250 <g>, for the SDRAM...).
    No problem. I put IceWM in place of KDE, and it runs like a champ.

    Now I've just upgraded to 9, same deal (though the once or twice I tried
    KDE, it ran slower than Lose95 on a '486). Non-graphical is jes' fine.

    To me, one of my arguments is that you don't *have* to upgrade your hardware
    until it physically gives up the ghost. It's M$ that makes you have to
    upgrade hardware, every time you get a new release. Especially in the
    middle of the most major recessino since the Depression, when companies are
    running tight, and home users are strapped for cash, most can't afford to
    buy new hardware.

    And RedHat's answer is...?

            mark

    --
    Regime change in America, not Iraq: impeach Bush, now.