RH 10

From: mark (whitroth_at_cfl.rr.com)
Date: 07/24/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:22:28 -0400

    Well, I just read about RH "opening up the development process" to
    outsiders, over on ZDNet. *Then* I read the "system requirements" for 10:
    200MHz for *non-graphical*, 400MHz for graphical...*minimum*.

    Does RedHat think they're the next M$?

    Now, up until a month or so ago, I was running 7.3 w/ KDE, w/ kernel & lib
    updates, etc. 7.3 came out, what, a year and a half ago?...and I'm running
    an AMD K-6 233 (ok, mine's "overclocked" to 250 <g>, for the SDRAM...).
    No problem. I put IceWM in place of KDE, and it runs like a champ.

    Now I've just upgraded to 9, same deal (though the once or twice I tried
    KDE, it ran slower than Lose95 on a '486). Non-graphical is jes' fine.

    To me, one of my arguments is that you don't *have* to upgrade your hardware
    until it physically gives up the ghost. It's M$ that makes you have to
    upgrade hardware, every time you get a new release. Especially in the
    middle of the most major recessino since the Depression, when companies are
    running tight, and home users are strapped for cash, most can't afford to
    buy new hardware.

    And RedHat's answer is...?

            mark

    --
    Regime change in America, not Iraq: impeach Bush, now.

    • Re: KDE upgraded with apt and now gvim does not work, plus other assorted problems...
      ... >> Korganizer in their KDE packages! ... > the KDE upgrade at all...but rather the fact i uninstalled Mozilla around ... with the RedHat "official" RPMs for now. ... Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: RH 10
      ... >Does RedHat think they're the next M$? ... I put IceWM in place of KDE, and it runs like a champ. ... >upgrade hardware, every time you get a new release. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Upgrading mobo and processor
      ... and the mobo to an Intel 845GBVL. ... what do I need to do prior to this upgrade to ensure ... that my system will boot and recognize the new hardware? ... Redhat releases, and don't seem timely. ...
      (linux.redhat.misc)
    • Re: Upgrading RH9 to Fedora?
      ... PH>> But I also will not update my mail/file server that runs Redhat 9 at the ... PH> upgrade the RH9 box? ... I read many posts from people still running Redhat ... bleeding edge driver software: UNIX/Linux *servers* don't need a X ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: What your GNU/Linux looks like? Suggestion for developers...
      ... From these the best choise isRedHat 9. ... I have used KDE, CDE, Gnome, OSX, Blackbox, Fluxbox, PekWM and couple ... But I won't touch SuSe. ... couldn't install RPM like typing rpm -ivh or rpm -Uvh to console. ...
      (alt.os.linux)