Re: standalone firewall connections

From: Michael Gargiullo (mgargiullo_at_warpdrive.net)
Date: 07/24/03

    Date: 24 Jul 2003 15:10:08 -0400

    Um..OK why do you want to give the linux box a range of IPs? Do you
    mean to setup a DHCP server on the linux box for the local network?

    I'll try to help a bit here, but honestly sounds as if you need to do a
    lot more reading.

    Your linux box is the gateway device. It connects your network to the
    internet via dialup.

    In a text book example your linux box would have the IP address
    192.168.0.1 on the eth0 device.

    All other computers on the network would have 192.168.0.1 as thier
    gateway IP address.

    If you want to setup a dhcp server on your linux box to distribute IP
    addresses to the rest of your network, you should do a search on
    google.com for a redhat DHCP how-to.

    With /etc/hosts, I wouldn't worry about it for now. After you can ping
    IP addresses then you can worry about your hosts file. In fact you can
    run a caching name server if you wish as well.

    Questions:

    Why is the NT box the 'proxy'? Did it at one time share it's internet
    connection with the rest of the network? What is the overall goal of
    this project?

    My suggestion is to do some serious reading today, and tonight. Start
    with the networking how-to

    you can try http://www.linuxdoc.org The linux documentation project for
    more reading.

    --