controlling gdm on rh8???

From: Duane Douglas (email.lists_at_verizon.net)
Date: 07/25/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:03:39 -0400

    hi everyone,

    i want to control gdm on rh8. i currently boot into runlevel 3 (which i
    want) and i can start gdm after i login. i want to bypass the gdm login
    manager after i login from the command line. i also want to bypass the gdm
    login manager entirely, so that i go directly to the command line upon
    logging out. the gdm documentation that i found on the web is rather
    scarce. afaik, there isn't a man page for gdm.

    does anyone have any suggestions on how i can learn to control gdm the way
    i want?

    tia

    Duane Douglas
    Computer Consultant
    mailto:ddouglas@mindspring.com

    • Re: Making GDM use KDE as the desktop
      ... > I got installed is gdm, which I have made gdm the default desktop login ... > manager because it makes it much easier to set up xdmcp than kdm. ... If you use the gdm login screen, you should see a "seesion" link at the ... to use the selected window manager in the future. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: automatic login (NOT gdm)
      ... > command. ... This is easy using gdm but I don't really want to use a window ... > manager at all: is there a way to do it before x is launched? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: New Kernel Image
      ... is causing problems with gdm. ... the kernel is running, but gdm has crashed at the point where a user ... It is possible to login to this machine, from another desktop, using ... ainit: Memory: Failed to release Semaphore ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: warning dialog box
      ... user, sitting at the GUI console, with a dialog box either before or ... gdm for console login. ... command(?) into the Default and 0: files instead of the gdialog command ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Gnome wont start
      ... get a gnome-shell login working and everything works on both systems. ... I deleted everything from my home directory that appeared to be gnome ... Some kind of timing issue wherein gdm does not relinquish some X resources in time for the user session to start. ... My newer machines start up successfully. ...
      (GNOME)