troubles defining firewall policies

From: Strider Alex Hunter (stwolf_at_andinanet.net)
Date: 07/26/03

    To: <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:58:42 -0500

    Hello there,

    First, thank you for the answers of my previous post. For any strange
    reason my modem won't connect using the v.90 protocol nor i'll reach
    faster rates than 31,200 bps (accurate connection string: CONNECT 31200
    BPS/LAPM/V34/V42bis) but i believe that i have to play with the modem
    strings harder.. the problem is that i've set the correct init strings
    to connect @ 46,666 + bps and using V.90 according to the manufacturer's
    manual and i can't achieve that under linux, something that i could do
    using Win 2K / XP. For the one who asked about the phone jack and/or
    line.. Yes, i'm using the same RJ-11 jack and phone line. In any case,
    thank you for your answers, now here is my new question:

    i've got problems trying to configure my linux as a firewall via
    IPCHAINS and i don't know why everything gets blocked when i am just
    restricting high ports (7000 - 65535).

    I use RH 7.3 and my eth0 interfase is part of the class C network
    192.168.1.0 The IP of the linux machine is 192.168.1.4 and we share a
    56K connection via modem (ppp0) using squid and some IP masquerade rules
    to allow external POP3 and SMTP connections. All of the other computers
    use the linux machine as their gateways so all the network traffic is
    held by it.

    Let's suppose that i want:

    1) Grant incoming connections (input chains) for every IP of my network
    to access every service of my linux machine, no exceptions.
    2) Filter out incoming connections from foreign addresses that try to
    use ports equal or higher than 7000. (i do not use the port 8080 for
    HTTP / Proxy purposes)
    3) Masquerade Ips of my network that want to use the ports 110 (POP3),
    21 (FTP) and 25 (SMTP)
    4) allow outgoing traffic from Ips of my network (from any port to any
    port)
    5) restrict outgoing traffic from foreign addresses wanting to use ports
    > 7000

    According to these rules, i've created the following rules:

    Ipchains -P input REJECT
    Ipchains -P output REJECT
    Ipchains -A input -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A input -s ! 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 0:7000 -p tcp
    -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A input -s ! 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 0:7000 -p udp
    -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A input -s ! 192.168.1.0/24 -p icmp -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 110 -j MASQ
    Ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 21 -j MASQ
    Ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 --destination-port 25 -j MASQ
    Ipchains -A output -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A output -s ! 192.168.1.0/24 -p tcp --destination-port 0:7000
    -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A output -s ! 192.168.1.0/24 -p udp --destination-port 0:7000
    -j ACCEPT
    Ipchains -A output -s ! 192.168.1.0/24 -p icmp -j ACCEPT

    When i try the above settings, everything gets blocked... External SMTP,
    DNS queries, MS Messenger connections, even web surfing (having squid as
    http proxy of course) why? Are my firewall policies bad conceived? Have
    i used the wrong reasoning to create them? Are they correct but the
    physical implementation is wrong? Please help.

    I also tried the other way, ACCEPTing every input and output connection
    but using 7001:65535 as --destination-port and -j REJECT as the jump
    policy but i got mixed results... I could use HTTP, check external POP3
    accounts and send messages using the ISP's external SMTP server but DNS
    queries were still blocked... MSN Messenger uses low ports, above 1000
    but below 5000, i am allowing ingoing and outgoing traffic for foreign
    connections and it simply won't connect, why? Same happens with yahoo
    messenger.. I use squid as http proxy for these instant messaging
    programs... Am i probably checking which ports outgoing connections are
    trying to use?

    Is there any application out there (graphical or not) that could
    accurately tell me FOR SURE which servers:ports are trying to connect to
    which Ips:ports of my network? (and the other way too, which Ips:ports
    from my network want access either to my linux PC's server:ports or any
    foreign address:ports) Netstat is kinda basic and is not as accurate as
    i want it to be, unless i am using it the wrong way.

    Thank you in advance,

    Paul D Fabre.