DSL, ethernet card

From: Blake Thornton (blake_at_math.wustl.edu)
Date: 08/07/03

    To: Redhat List <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:46:45 -0500 (CDT)

    I've been struggling to get my dsl connection working (pppoe) and I bought
    a router which I set up using a windows machine.

    Now, when I boot up my linux (redhat 9) box, the eth0 connection fails to
    come up and does not appear in `ifconfig`.

    So, I figured that there is a problem recognizing my ethernet card. Fine.
    I've been told I might have to recompile the drivers. Fine. I don't know
    how to do that but I can figure it out.

    But, I can connect to the internet through this ethernet card and router.
    I just can't see the connection with an `ifconfig`. Seems very odd. I
    did try:

    ----------------------
    root@sierra blake]# ifup eth0

    Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check
    cable?

    • Re: Router with both USB and Ethernet ports?
      ... Actually, I'd still need a router, since Comcast only allows one IP ... There's a four port router here. ... install a Ethernet card in that old Win98SE computer. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Determining IP information for eth0
      ... > I get a message Determining IP information for eth0... ... > It woudl appear that I am not getting DHCP information from the ... > router, but I am not sure how to remedy this. ... by wrong speed or duplex, bad cable, bad ethernet card, bad port on the ...
      (Fedora)
    • ethernet transmit errors
      ... In the last few months I've recently added an ethernet card and a wireless ... ADSL router to my system for broadband use. ... My question is how can I work out whether this is a hardware or software ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Need Explanation - Can Anyone Answer This?
      ... find/contact the DHCP router get a 'private IP address' assigned. ... Why does the ethernet card have an IP address if there is no ... I've tried forcing the release of the address using the ipconfig ...
    • Re: Linksys BEFSR41, running cards at 100-full mode...
      ... it'll start to see the internet, but won't see the other machines still. ... > of ethernet card? ... > with the router. ... Jim ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)