DSL, ethernet card

From: Blake Thornton (blake_at_math.wustl.edu)
Date: 08/07/03

    To: Redhat List <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:46:45 -0500 (CDT)

    I've been struggling to get my dsl connection working (pppoe) and I bought
    a router which I set up using a windows machine.

    Now, when I boot up my linux (redhat 9) box, the eth0 connection fails to
    come up and does not appear in `ifconfig`.

    So, I figured that there is a problem recognizing my ethernet card. Fine.
    I've been told I might have to recompile the drivers. Fine. I don't know
    how to do that but I can figure it out.

    But, I can connect to the internet through this ethernet card and router.
    I just can't see the connection with an `ifconfig`. Seems very odd. I
    did try:

    root@sierra blake]# ifup eth0

    Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check
    cable?