Re: DSL, ethernet card

From: Jason Dixon (jason_at_dixongroup.net)
Date: 08/07/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: 07 Aug 2003 16:47:14 -0400

    On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 16:46, Blake Thornton wrote:
    > I've been struggling to get my dsl connection working (pppoe) and I bought
    > a router which I set up using a windows machine.
    >
    > Now, when I boot up my linux (redhat 9) box, the eth0 connection fails to
    > come up and does not appear in `ifconfig`.
    >
    > So, I figured that there is a problem recognizing my ethernet card. Fine.
    > I've been told I might have to recompile the drivers. Fine. I don't know
    > how to do that but I can figure it out.

    The first thing that would help us is if you told us what KIND of
    ethernet card you're using. Dmesg output would be a bonus.

    --
    Jason Dixon, RHCE
    DixonGroup Consulting

    • Re: adsl connection
      ... > I installed an ethernet card and a trust 445 modem/router ... You cannot do pppoe through a router. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Router with both USB and Ethernet ports?
      ... Actually, I'd still need a router, since Comcast only allows one IP ... There's a four port router here. ... install a Ethernet card in that old Win98SE computer. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Determining IP information for eth0
      ... > I get a message Determining IP information for eth0... ... > It woudl appear that I am not getting DHCP information from the ... > router, but I am not sure how to remedy this. ... by wrong speed or duplex, bad cable, bad ethernet card, bad port on the ...
      (Fedora)
    • ethernet transmit errors
      ... In the last few months I've recently added an ethernet card and a wireless ... ADSL router to my system for broadband use. ... My question is how can I work out whether this is a hardware or software ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Need Explanation - Can Anyone Answer This?
      ... find/contact the DHCP router get a 'private IP address' assigned. ... Why does the ethernet card have an IP address if there is no ... I've tried forcing the release of the address using the ipconfig ...