USB Problems

From: Andrew McVinnie (lintila_at_mac.com)
Date: 08/08/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:48:28 -0600

    Hello all,

    I am a newbie to RedHat, but not quite a newbie to Linux. I have been
    running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC for a while. Although using
    Linux, I would not consider myself quite a tweeking geek that gets down
    into recompiling kernals and crap like that. Basicly, I just use it as
    a work station.

    Yesterday I installed RedHat on my PC and everything went beautifully.
    However, My USB Keyboard and USB Mouse did not work... I messed with the
    mouse settings for a couple hours to no avail. Finally I decided to try
    other USB devices. My camera, Palm, card reader, nothing worked...
    This is when I began to suspect my USB bus was not compatible. My USB
    bus is built onto my motherboard which is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.

    On the RedHat compatibility list I found no motherboards listed. My
    sound card is also not working, it too being built into the mother
    board. The Sound Card tester program in RedHat sees the soundcard, but
    no test sound plays...

    Is it generally true that these buses (USB and Sound) probably won't
    work under RedHat because they are built on to the motherboard? If so,
    would buying and installing PCI versions of these devices work better?
    Also, where is the equivilent of Windows Hardware Device Properties in
    RedHat?

    TIA
    Andrew McVinnie